Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

isolinux: Disk error 01, AX = 201,

I can't install intripid ibex 8.10 on computer.
    Error stated: isolinux: Disk error 01, AX = 0201, drive 80 Boot failed:
    press a key to retry

Now I burned this cd and it was working fine, I have formatted the sata 70 gig drive several time with different formats and finally with gparted.
    Last nite I started the install and watched it progression, it formatted 100% of the drive and I checked the box to use full space and clicked continue. It was doing fine untill fell asleep and I woke up it said to reboot so I did. Funny it did not ask to remove the cd?????
    I truely believe it did load to completion (while assleep) but now I get all sorts of errors - like I had with my first bad cd burn 2 months ago. (I have burned 15 cd's as slow as I could, and have 2 good copies that work.

This is on my Asus P4P800-vm, celeron 2.66ghz, 1 gig ram, Seagate sata 70gig

Edit:3:57pm
    I just used my Xp pro disk to check the drive and it showed 1375mb of unknown
    files to me, - prob the ubuntu 8.10, So I am formatting the drive with windows xp pro and will start all over with a fresh install of 8.10 - again.

Linux Newbie
    isolinux is used to create bootable CDs. If it booted once (to install Ubuntu the first time) then started giving this error then I would bet on a faulty CD/DVD Burner or media.

Your first stop should be to use a program such as ImgBurn to verify the ISO has been burned to the CD correctly, and if it has, verify that the ISO you've downloaded provides the same MD5 hash as the one provided by Ubuntu (it'll be on their site somewhere, or in the mirror directory with the extension .md5 or similar).

If both these checks pass then you've likely got a faulty optical drive.

The reason your Ubuntu install didn't start was because the CD-ROM was still in the drive. You could've taken it out and seen what happens, the system should have booted to GRUB.

(Also note that 8.10 is now out of date as 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope has been released).
    "If it compiles, sell it."

Thanks Andrew, I did do the Md5 check on the download. I don't know how to check the cd with md5. it is working now. My biggest prob was all the different iso burners were too fast or could not control it to 1x or 2x. ImgBurn worked the best.
    Thanks

...... end of thread ......

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    I had a problem with my AntiX cd. It would install, but I couldn't log in. I re-installed and it would let me login as user, but authentication would fail as root. I burnt another cd and finally succeeded. I have found that in some repositories the md5 sum doesn't match the image.
    Registered Linux User #420832

Thanks...
    I think you are right about the md5 checksums. I used to download from Georgia Tech's site now I just downloaded the new ubuntu 9.04 to my sata 70 gig.
    But my ImgBurn is in my window 2000 computer...
    and windows will show the 70gb drive in Device manager but NOT in My Computer??
    So I cannot see the 9.04 iso file and burn it.
    Do I have to set some permissions or what?
    I just want to burn a 9.04 cd from windows.
    Just a quick side note/question.

Linux User
    Windows 2k? It may not recognize SATA drive easily, but it was basically enterprise distro so it should see it as scsi. Look under system for scsi hardware( may be raid). I haven't used Windows for a while, but you may know where to look to enable it.
    Registered Linux User #420832

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptSkip View Post
    and windows will show the 70gb drive in Device manager but NOT in My Computer??
    I'm confused as to what's on this 70gb drive. If it's Linux, then you'll need to install ext2ifs to be able to mount the contents under Windows as Windows doesn't support Linux filesystems out of the box.

If it's NTFS/FAT on the drive, you might just need to assign the drive a drive letter. You can do this by opening Disk Management (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management, and in there it'll be under Storage).

You should then see your partitions in this Window. Right click them and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths..." and then select a letter.
    "If it compiles, sell it."

Quote Originally Posted by andrewdodd13 View Post
    I'm confused as to what's on this 70gb drive. If it's Linux, then you'll need to install ext2ifs to be able to mount the contents under Windows as Windows doesn't support Linux filesystems out of the box.

If it's NTFS/FAT on the drive, you might just need to assign the drive a drive letter. You can do this by opening Disk Management (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management, and in there it'll be under Storage).

You should then see your partitions in this Window. Right click them and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths..." and then select a letter.
    Please Disregard this sata 70gig post...
    I had that drive in my Linux box when I downloaded Jaunty 9.04 so I took out the sata 70gig and hooked it up to my dell windows 2k box (via usb 2.0 adapter cables) to burn the iso I had previously downloaded.
    Sorry I got off topic. I now have Jaunty9.04 and XP up and running with dual boot on the original ide hard drive.
    Thanks everyone....
    Last edited by CaptSkip; 05-18-2009 at 08:31 PM. Reason: spelling