Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Thanks for everyone with suggestions. I'm on the CUPS interface at the moment and added the MP600 and set it as default, then clicked on 'Print Test Page' and the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thanks for everyone with suggestions.

I'm on the CUPS interface at the moment and added the MP600 and set it as default, then clicked on 'Print Test Page' and the same thing happened. The job was sent to the queue and a message pops up in the top right corner of my screen telling me that the job has been completed when the printer didn't do a thing at all.

Would a downgrade to 8.10 work better for me? If so I can just do that. Would that involve a reformat and losing all my saved work, or is there another procedure to do it?

Thanks for any and all help.

Dear k508,
    I wasn't kidding. If you want to print, get rid of *buntu! I was wrestling with it since 6.10, due to the CUPS. I have a simplies HP 6L which would print on every platform, I guess even if I'd plug it in a frog's ass, but not on Ubuntu. I was trying to use it with every release since then, have wasted hours trying to make it work, but no use. Try some other normal Linux, like Mandriva. You don't have to delete your documents, just save them on USB, and install an other Linux, and you'll see miracles! Don't waste your time 'cos Ubuntu doesn't deserve it, believe me.
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux User
    When I upgraded to 8.04 from 7.10, I ran into the same problem. I had to re-install 8.04 to get printing to work. I don't know why it wouldn't work on an upgrade, but I agree with others that printing is a big problem with in Ubuntu. I am sticking with 8.04 untill 9.10 comes out in the hopes that issues with printing is fixed by then.
    Registered Linux User #420832

Not to be a smartass or anything, but did anyone ever try to change/add the drivers for CUPS in Ubuntu? If CUPS works in 7.10 but not 8.04 then maybe it's just a small problem that doesn't involve re-installing the whole OS.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux User
    My problem at that time was that the printer worked in both distros, but upgrading broke it.
    Registered Linux User #420832

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    You could try this too.
    The Canon PIXMA Linux blog, for all Canon PIXMA all-in-ones: Setup Canon Pixma MP600 or MP610 multifunctions printers on Linux
    Yeah I found that guide while Googling at one point before coming to this site. I guess Ubuntu doesn't really offer what I'm looking for in terms of use. I don't want to go back to XP, so is there another distribution that is just as easy to use as Ubuntu, except allows use for printing? >_<

Someone mentioned the Mandriva distro, how is that in comparison to Ubuntu?

Thanks again for everyones help. Greatly appreciated, but I guess this just won't be a simple fix and should be fixed be the time of a new release.

That was me. I'm using Mandriva since release 2007.1, and I'm absolutely satisfied with it. It's even easier to use than Ubuntu, and I found no problems with the core things like display, internet, scanning, printing and so on. You can download the DVD version of 2009.1. The package handling differs from Ubuntu, but for me this is an advantage, since you can put all .RPMs into a single folder and you'll have a repository. I like it, and I can recommend you to use it.
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by minthaka View Post
    That was me. I'm using Mandriva since release 2007.1, and I'm absolutely satisfied with it. It's even easier to use than Ubuntu, and I found no problems with the core things like display, internet, scanning, printing and so on. You can download the DVD version of 2009.1. The package handling differs from Ubuntu, but for me this is an advantage, since you can put all .RPMs into a single folder and you'll have a repository. I like it, and I can recommend you to use it.
    Ok thanks for the advice. I'll download it and give it a go on the VM before I switch over.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2