Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi there. I recently became a user of Ubuntu and tried to install drivers for both of my printers on this machine. The printers are both successfully recognized and installed, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

General Printer problems

Hi there.

I recently became a user of Ubuntu and tried to install drivers for both of my printers on this machine. The printers are both successfully recognized and installed, yet whenever I attempt to print something nothing actually prints, yet Ubuntu tells me that the file has been completed printing.

The two printers are the Canon MP600 and the Epson Photo R290 if that's any help.

Edit: Currently using Ubuntu 9.04

Any advice is appreciated,
    -Thanks.

...kind of a stupid question so I apologize if it's offensive.....are you making sure that the printer is selected when you try to print? By default Ubuntu has the "print to pdf" option, unless you set it to a printer manually or set a printer to default this is what will happen. Check your home folder to see if you have a .pdf folder (I believe this is the folder), it's a hidden folder (go to View hidden folders). All of your prints might be in there as pdf's
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!
    Hi there,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I have one of the printers set as default for printing, and have set each one at different times and received the same results. I have also restarted the computer a number of times.

have you tried a test print?

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmadero View Post
    have you tried a test print?
    Multiple times, I get a message saying that it has finished printing yet the printer remains inactive.

Just Joined!
    Bump.

Still getting problems, anyone have any ideas?

the more I read the more I'm convinced that this is one of MANY bugs in the most recent version of Ubuntu (I've previously posted that I had to downgrade for the first time in over two and a half years because Jaunty is just buggy). Maybe it's time to consider downgrading?

Does Ubuntu use CUPS by default? If not, then I would suggest installing CUPS. You might also try finding different drivers for the printers too. I think some distro's have better print support than others do but I couldn't tell you the name of one right off hand.
    Drivers - CUPS
    I included a list of CUPS drivers available, maybe you might have luck with it.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Simply, they didn't touch their cups since Edgy. Blame on them, but they simply forgot the printing system. Ubuntu could be so good.... But this childish approach to the real problems. I've installed Xubuntu two days ago, but I couldn't evet start to select ANY printer. This is unforgiveable!
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

Try configuring from CUPS internal interface. Open a browser window and go to

https://127.0.0.1:631/

Especially with the Canon Pixmas, I find this works best.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast