Find the answer to your Linux question:
Looking for a simple cd to mp3 app that just works. I have tried a couple and even one through Wine but, nothing works - just like that. Very frustrating. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

cd to mp3 converter blues

Looking for a simple cd to mp3 app that just works. I have tried a couple and even one through Wine but, nothing works - just like that. Very frustrating. All I want to do is put a cd into the drive and highlight the tracks I want to rip and convert to mp3 for a mix cd for the car. Any ideas about a nice program that works with Ubuntu. I have tried K3b but, I think it stumbled at the first hurdle with copyright.
    Cheers... I know someone must have something they use without problem.

Which release/version of Ubuntu are you using?

Sound-Juicer is your only man. In the past I used and loved Grip but it would rip to wav first and then convert back to mp3/vorbis/whatever.

Sound-Juicer uses Gstreamer and rips and converts in one stream so it seems a bit faster for me. It comes with Ubuntu though it might be listed as "Audio CD Extractor" or similar on the menu under Sounds & Video.

Linux User
    I copy wav files & then use a lame-based script called audio-convert from the command line. It may work direct from the cd-I should try it that way. It would be faster.audio convert | freshmeat.net
    Registered Linux User #420832