Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, I am trying to install kubuntu 9.04 on my computer, the problem is I can't get past the main screen on the setup, the one where it says "install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Kubuntu installation problem

hello, I am trying to install kubuntu 9.04 on my computer, the problem is I can't get past the main screen on the setup, the one where it says "install kubuntu, check disk for errors, etc..." When I click on any option I hear my disk drive spin down and then my computer beeps and restarts. I have been trying for a few hours now and I can't seem to find anything wrong with the bios settings.

bios info -

first boot device- CDROM
    second boot device- Hard Disk
    third boot device- CDROM <- changing this to "none" does nothing.

Hard disk boot priority

1. SATA5 : SAMSUNG HD501LJ
    2. Bootable Add-in Cards

-

It seems to reboot whenever the installation process does somthing "by itself" for example if I do not select a language within 25 seconds it tries to auto select english, but when it does it freezes, then reboots

I have tried apci=off and the simple graphics mode, neither have worked.

While typing this I clicked on try without altering files by accident, for some reason (unknown to me) it loaded it up. The trial looks very good but im really after a full install.
    I have just tried the trial again, but it rebooted this time

any help would be much appreciated

-edit;
    just tried a Windows XP boot cd out of curiosity- I got to the bit where it says --Boot from CD press any key to continue--
    on the next screen it came up with install or repir -> I clicked install. The some thing happened as with kubuntu - the drive span down and my computer resarted!
    Last edited by Ghirkin; 05-17-2009 at 08:38 PM. Reason: new info