Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello First of all i'd like to mention that i am new to linux, have always been using windows previously but i'm sick of that so i opted to use ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Graphic Card Problems

Hello

First of all i'd like to mention that i am new to linux, have always been using windows previously but i'm sick of that so i opted to use linux. I am not running duel boot cuz i was up to reinstalling windows anyway. At the moment i've got internet on the laptop i am running linux on, but getting to internet on my other computer shouldn't be a problem.

The problem i have is i can't get my screen resolution right. I have ubuntu 8.04. I have used the envy program to deinstall the graphic card drive and reinstall it (i read on other forums that that is the easiest way to get your graphics card to work).
    After enabling it and restarting my computer i got the message that the right graphics card hasn't been detected and that low-graphics will be used. You had to option to press 'Configuration', which i did since i wasn't satisfied with having low graphics.
    You can then choose graphics card from a scroll down list, and i chose the 7 series since that is the most resembling of my graphics card. But at the moment the graphics seem a little better than before, (when i could use only 640x480 resolution), now i have 800 x 600 resolution but this needs to go up to 1280x840.
    I have a toshiba laptop satellite 100-812 with a Gforce Nvidia 7600 Go.
    Don't think further specs are of importance since this is the only thing that is not working (momentarily ofcourse).

Hopefully someone can help.
    Thanks in advance
    Hakkyjr

Hi and Welcome !

Execute this
    Code:
    sudo lspci | grep -i vga
    grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Post output here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Hi and Welcome !

Execute this
    Code:
    sudo lspci | grep -i vga
    grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Post output here.

Hi

I am now using another computer with internet. Here is a more specified detail of the message i get when starting up Ubuntu.

'Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode

Your screen and graphics card could not be detected correctly. To use higher resolutions, visual effects or multiple screens, you have to configure the display yourself. '

I click on configure. Get to option of Screen & Graphics card, asks for me to fill in a monitor (but i have a laptop so i fill in a random one (LCD panel 1280 x 800 since it chooses plug n play itself. Under Graphics card it chooses vesa - Generic VESA - compliant video cards automatically, but i manually pick the nvidia 7 series (since i have a 7600 GO).

As to filling in that code.

After typing sudo lspci | grep -i vga (and password) i get: 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G70 [GeForce Go 7600] (rev al)

After typing grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf i receive :

Driver "kbd"
    Driver "mouse"
    Driver "synaptics"
    Driver "nv"
    Driver "nv"

Can i ask what these commands are supposed to do (or the information they are supposed to retrieve and the meaning of that info? )

Thanks
    Hakkyjr

Just Joined!
    Btw i lived in new delhi india for 5 years

lspci is used to list all the PCI Devices attached to the computer | is called the pipe special character and it's job is brilliant , it takes the output of it's left and make it the input of the right side so the output / result of lspci is now the input of the grep command , grep command is used to look for a specific word in the output -i is for ignoring the upper or lower case, and driver is the word we want to look for.

for the last command is same but we want to look in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Dual Booting Ubuntu 10.04, Windows 7

Toshiba Satellite A200-1M5, Duo Core 2.0 Ghz, 1 Gigs RAM, 256 Intel Card

You are registered Linux user number 490788
    Happy Linuxing