Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Guys, I really need your help. I have a HP550 laptop and I had my friend install Ubuntu as the intial OS. Its working fine and and I loving ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Run Both Ubuntua nd Windows XP!

Hi Guys, I really need your help.

I have a HP550 laptop and I had my friend install Ubuntu as the intial OS. Its working fine and and I loving working in Ubuntu. However, some of my office applications wouldn't work in ubuntu so i needed to install WinXP. But whenever I tried to install XP by booting from the CD, its shows an error message stating that "Check for computer for virus........chechk hard disk and bla bla bla....."

I really both the OS. Please any one help me out!!!!!!

Hello and Welcome!

Do you have any type of virus protection set in your BIOS? If so, disable this and give it another go.

Be forewarned that installing Windows will over-write your GRUB boot-loader, so we'll have to set that straight afterwards.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    hey buddy i don't think you can install xp after ubuntu.... i think it'll overwrite it......
    so just format your hard drive and install xp... and then install ubuntu....

or you can also try windows emulators for ubuntu.... they will run windows just like an application.......

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Sure you can... admittedly it's easier to install XP first, though.
    Here's a walk-through that I came across for ya:
    How to dual boot Linux and Windows XP (Linux installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Hey Guys...thanks for the suggestions....m trying on these.....lets see wht works out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Sure you can... admittedly it's easier to install XP first, though.
    Here's a walk-through that I came across for ya:
    How to dual boot Linux and Windows XP (Linux installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots
    Windows OS installer doesn't work in a few machines after Linux installation. Common error messager is "Windows Installer can not find any Hard disk".
    A lot of members have complained about the same problem

"I want to repair/re-install Windows OS but Windows Installation CD is not working."

We suggest SuperGRUB CD to those members. Its GRUB/BIOS compatilbitly problem.

I couldn't install Windows OS after Linux in 7 out of 13 machines in my Linux/Windows dual Lab.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Another alternative might be to install Windows in a Virtual Machine if the laptop has the grunt and then you really can run Linux AND Windows
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Hey Guys thanks for the comments. I tried things out but nothing seemed to work so heres what i did at the end.

"I had my Hard Disk formatted using the Ubuntu CD and made partitions so that I could install windows and then try installing Ubuntu from the start. Everything was fine until I tried to Boot Win XP using the CD. After loading the files for the setup, suddenly a blue screen appears giving the same message that I was having earlier i.e. check your Hard disk.....check for virus...and bla bla bla".

So is it the CD thats giving me problems......or its something else.....I need your help once again guys.........Plz plz plz....

You have to remove GRUB too.
    Does GRUB error appear on startup when you boot up from formatted Hard disk?

Boot up from Ubuntu LiveCD and execute this in Terminal :
    Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
    Above code will remove Partitions and GRUB from MBR.
    Create partitions again. Windows Installation CD will work fine after executing dd command.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First