Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I tried to install Ubuntu 9.04 along with windows xp. the dual boot is working fine. but i faced prob with XP and decided to uninstall windows.. Is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy How to fix MBR

Hi all, I tried to install Ubuntu 9.04 along with windows xp. the dual boot is working fine. but i faced prob with XP and decided to uninstall windows.. Is there an option to remove only windows without affecting linux?
    Also, previously wen i had installed dual boot with ubuntu 8.04 and windows, i had to remove linux, the simple step i followed to do so was: delete linux partition and format it to fat32. but by doing this, i keep getting Grub bootloader. please advice me a better way to uninstall linux.
    Also throw some light on repairing MBR if it is corrupted.
    Thanks in Advance

Boot Linux, open a terminal and post the output of
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    the -l has a small L not a one.

We can then see partition structure before advising how to progress.

Also can you clarify if you want to remove Linux or Windows ...

To fix bootloader problems SuperGrub is a good tool, and to modify partitions PartedMagic.

you dont need to fix your MBR, because you are keeping linux only, and grub is installed on your MBR, you are fine there.

as root, edit /boot/grub/grub.conf (or /boot/grub/menu.lst if grub.conf is not present ... i dont know ubuntu well) and delete the stanza marked as windows, or other, or whatever.
    This will get rid of the option under grub when you boot.

The only thing left to do is the remove the windows partition. I'd suggest you get a gui like gparted, and remove the one marked as NTFS (the windows partition) changing it to ext3 and mounting it wherever you want in your filesystem.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Just Joined!
    Thanks for that advice. This is good enough to follow to remove windows. now wat is the general procedure to remove linux instead of windows and fix MBR without bootloader coming on the screen and restoring windows bootloader with default boot?

Quote Originally Posted by lilchakki View Post
    Thanks for that advice. This is good enough to follow to remove windows. now wat is the general procedure to remove linux instead of windows and fix MBR without bootloader coming on the screen and restoring windows bootloader with default boot?
    I asume you don't have a Wubi install (Wubi install does not create a separate partition for Linux) ...
    use Supergrub to replace grub with Windows bootloader code in the MBR, check the system boots correctly, then remove the Linux partitions.

Use free space by either expanding Windows partition or create separate FAT32 or NTFS formatted partitions for data storage etc. PartedMagic is my preferred tool for partition modification.

Just Joined!
    thanks again.. i think this is wat i wanted..