Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi- I have installed wine and office 2000 using the below website: help.ubuntu.com/community/Microsoft_Office Additionally, I did the following and changed my user name through this method: <user name: Change preferred ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing office 2000 through wine in ubuntu 9.04

Hi-

I have installed wine and office 2000 using the below website:

help.ubuntu.com/community/Microsoft_Office

Additionally, I did the following and changed my user name through this method:

<user name:

Change preferred owner in ~/.wine/system.reg

organisation:

Change preferred organization in ~/.wine/system.reg>

The problem is that the Microsoft Office 2000 user information keeps coming up with a request to enter the product key. Is there anywhere to enter this as a default so that this does not happen again?

I really do need Word for my CV, as it does not configure exactly into Open Office which is an option, but not for my CV. If I can get this working it will minimise my use of Windows operating systems.

Thanks.

Use PlayOnLinux to install Microsoft Office 2000 or 2003, Its not hard to tweak guide, but if you dont want troubles in default wine prefix you can simply use PlayOnLinux for 1 Click easy install.
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed

Just Joined!

Thanks - I will definitely try this. Just wanted to know, should I uninstall wine with my current (semi-working) Office 2000 first, before installing PlayOnLinux ?

There is no need on uninstalling previous wine, if you want to clean it, just delete the .wine directory
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed

May I ask why you are installing MS Office? OpenOffice is free and compatible in almost every way. The only thing that isn't up to par is base (the database program) and Access will not work in Linux regardless....usually I've found that it's more trouble than it's worth installing MS Office in Ubuntu
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!

That is a good question. I can use Open Office for almost everything, but not for my CV/resume.

The reason being is that it was done in Word, needs to be exactly 2 pages and the majority of employers will probably be using Word.

I tried opening it in Open Office, but it opened to over 3 pages, so if I make any amendments, I won't know what it looks like in Word, and is there any point in reopening in Word to see what it looks like?

I wouldn't install an entire software package just for that The rule of thumb in industry is send EVERYTHING via pdf so that it doesn't matter what they use to open it it'll show the same length
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!
    I will try this - if there is any chance for me to get 100% away from Microsoft, I will do it.