Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello first time linux user, and well let's say i didnt get an easy introdutcion. After installing ubuntu side with Vista. Like i installed Vista first, then choose to keep ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Grub error 17, need help

Hello first time linux user, and well let's say i didnt get an easy introdutcion. After installing ubuntu side with Vista. Like i installed Vista first, then choose to keep both. After going into Vista and making a partition out of free space. I restarted, and now i get Grub error 17 on bootup.

Secondly when using ubuntu 9.04 live cd, i can access all the stuff on my hard drives. I though u can just reinstall it. But that didnt work because gparted show my drive as unallocated space. Which is wrong ofcourse. And i don't want to install and loose all my stuff.

Still have my windows partition also. Seems weird i cant boot from that anymore. Like i said im very new at this, so i dont know what to do.

I really dont want to loose all my programs, favorites, movies etc, (i dont got an external hdd).

Thanks!

Hi and Welcome !

You have created new partition(s) and due to that device names assigned to partitions have been changed in Ubuntu. GRUB confs are not pointing to correct partitions now.

Boot up from Ubuntu LiveCD, open Terminal and execute this
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Post output here.

* Its small L in fdisk -l.

Its easy to fix this problem instead of re-install. Anyways, we have check output of fdisk -l in either case.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    thanks for your super fast answer mate, heres what i got from the terminal command

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xdeaeb6a9

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 3825 30723288+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda2 3825 60476 455052446 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda3 60477 60801 2610562+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda5 60780 60801 176683+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

You have removed all Linux Partitions except a SWAP partition. There isn't any free space in your Hard disk. Most of the space has been allocated to second partition (D: drive in Vista ).
    If you want to fix Vista boot up, follow instructions from here or use EasyBCD.
    For Ubuntu, shrink existing partitions and create at least 10-15GB partition for Ubuntu. You can do that easily using Partition Editor available in Ubuntu LiveCD. Look for it in Administrative Menu.

Just Joined!
    Hm seems strange. hm now i have to found my vista dvd i guess

but after booting up in windows, will the partition show properly then, cause if it does, i can just format the windows partition and install on C:

right? sorry for asking like a awfull noob, still trying to learn though. Been in ubuntu live 9.04 and loving it, so dont need windows anymore

Partitions will appear correctly but I would suggest you to keep both Windows OS and Ubuntu for a while.

As I suggested earlier, its really easy to fix vista and re-install Ubuntu.

In case your determined to format Vista Partitions then there is no need to fix its boot loader. Just back up data in external disk or any other media using Ubuntu Live and format partitions using Partition Manger available in Ubuntu.

Just Joined!
    Well as i said earlier, i dont got an external disk :/ But its on 1. priority. Your solution worked, im back in vista. Though, My drive partition D: is not showing,

in windows partition i can set it as active, should i do that, dont wanna do something stupid again. That's all.

It comes a warning when i try that though, like "if this partition has a os it can crash your system...." etc.

just sat the partition as active, not happened, guess i will try a restart and see if that helps

my setting drive d: as active, i got error in dos saying botmgr is missing, quick fix shorted that out, but cant access my drive d partition, which has all my games, files, movies, documents etc

Just Joined!
    DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
    -------- ---------- ------- ------- --- ---
    Disk 0 Online 466 GB 2375 MB
    Disk 1 No Media 0 B 0 B

DISKPART>

what i got from diskpart

Just Joined!
    img199.imageshack.us/img199/2431/10764162.jpg

heres the problem i have. so

1. In ubuntu live cd, all partitions show on my computer. The Windows partition and the other one with all my stuff in it. When i try to install ubuntu, it says i have only one option and thats to format and use the whole disk.

So it doesnt see the windows partition and the other one. Which is strange, since inside computer it does and i can access them.

2. In windows (as the picture shows) the partition shows in computer managment but not in explorer.

bah, im fed up!

Linux Guru
    After installing ubuntu side with Vista. Like i installed Vista first, then choose to keep both.
    I don't understand your comment above from your initial post. Did you try to do a wubi install of Ubuntu where it is just a folder in windows or did you try to create a separate partition(s) for Ubuntu outside vista?

Your fdisk output shows sda1 which is the first partition on the drive, as your windows bootable partition. You also have another ntfs (windows) parititon) which takes up almost the rest of the drive. sda3 is an extended partition in which you have created a small swap partition. You don't have any logical partitions on which to install Ubuntu. You also don't have any room to install it as your extended partition (including the swap) is only about 2.6GB.

I don't use windows but I don't think you want to set "D" as active, "c" partition should contain your system files. It's the one marked active in fdisk.

The link you tried to post at imageshack isn't a link.

1. In ubuntu live cd, all partitions show on my computer. The Windows partition and the other one with all my stuff in it. When i try to install ubuntu, it says i have only one option and thats to format and use the whole disk
    Explained in paragraph one above.

So it doesnt see the windows partition and the other one. Which is strange, since inside computer it does and i can access them.
    Yes, it sees the windows partition but it takes up too much space and there is nowhere to install Ubuntu. You need to defrag the partition, well maybe that won't help. If you have a lot of data, try to copy it to another drive. You could try SystemRescueCD. To install Ubuntu, you will need to shrink sda2, what I think you refer to as "D".