Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can I get these things to work on my Kubuntu system??...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ipod or zune

Can I get these things to work on my Kubuntu system??

the ipod you can but it's a pain in the....the zune...no

get a creative zen...much friendlier to open source and overall I think it's sleeker and better.

You can also look into the Samsung device, it's touchscreen and plays OGG files which is awesome
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

The sandisk players seem to play nice with linux too. I use a Sandisk Fuze and it works a treat. It also supports OGG.

Good to know I looked at the samsungs just because they have the touchscreen that I think looks nice....but I just use my LG Shine phone for my music player, easier to have everything together

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Linux Guru
    iPods work fine now except for the Touch and iPhone models, which are still read-only. If you use Amarok all you need to do is plug the iPod in and it will show up automatically as another collection from which you can manage your content (Amarok 2).

If you're using Amarok 1.x you just need to add the device under Amarok Tools > Configure Amarok > Devices...just add it in and it will connect each time.

that's interesting...my mom was on Gutsy and amarok definitely did not work with it without some major messing around...has there been an upgrade in the intrepid or jaunty to make it easier? I still hate the ipod, it's way over priced and...owned by a company which uses Unix for a base but then refuses to open any source to help us out....if it comes down to buying a new mp3 player I would never recommend the Zune or ipod

Linux Guru
    There was certainly a trick to it in the 1.x series...it always kinda looked like it would just work or that you just had to click connect. You did have to set it up in that devices dialogue I mentioned but after that it was prett much automatic. Took me a few attempts to realise that.

The new 2.x series is much better for iPods anyway. No configuration at all, just another collection to drag between. I'm running the Project Neon builds too and it looks like they've sorted out that Plasma mess too so it should be great. In fact I'll be 100% happy when they get that amazing import tool back working again. The import, tagging and organise tools completely sold me on it in 1.x.