Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I have to manage my files stored in my school server, I have to use SSH or SCP. I do this using an application with GUI on Windows. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GUI for SCP and SSH?

When I have to manage my files stored in my school server, I have to use SSH or SCP. I do this using an application with GUI on Windows.
    I asked other people how to do this on Ubuntu, they told me to do it purely on command line...
    I just don't like this way because it takes too much time (especially when file names are ridiculously long).
    Is there any software on Ubuntu that has a nice GUI to manage files via SSH?

I don't know of one but it would be interesting to see. I'm thinking some of the ftp "GUI" file managers also accomodate ssh and scp but don't know for sure. Likely the only reason you dislike doing scp and ssh from the command line is because you're simply unused to it. I would hate it too if it weren't for bash completion. It makes it easier and cuts down on errors too! As a for instance, say you needed to download openssl-0.9.8b-parallel-build.patch. Once inside the directory where the file is located you'd do:
    Code:
    scp o
    [press tab key] which will fill in the rest of the file name. This also works for when cding into and out of directories. Have to go inside /home/omphaloskepsis_TyrannosaurusRex ?
    Code:
    cd /home/o
    [press tab key] for "mphaloskepsis _ TyrannosaurusRex" to get filled in for you. Learning how to ssh and scp from the command line is an invaluable skill that will help you in many situations, and it really isn't that hard once you get the hang of it.

EDIT: Found this for you...
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 05-28-2009 at 12:05 PM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

The GNOME file manager, Nautilus, has support for this. Just go to Places->Connect to Server, select ssh and enter the necessary info, ip address, etc. It will show up as a file system labeled sftp <user@ip address>

Konqueror in KDE can do this as well.

There is also gigolo.

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot! I'll try Nautilus as soon as possible.

Come to think of it, getting used to the command line also might be useful, so I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the help.

Just Joined!

Talking Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    The GNOME file manager, Nautilus, has support for this. Just go to Places->Connect to Server, select ssh and enter the necessary info, ip address, etc. It will show up as a file system labeled [b]
    Konqueror in KDE can do this as well.
    Thank you.
    You changed my life.