Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

IS there any way to convert this avi file, or is there something to read it? Wanting to watch Mall Cop!! lol

The control block at the end of an AVI file identifies it's codec with a four letter sequence, aka FourCC, this will be something like XVID, DIVX, DIV5, YUV9, etc. From the FourCC designation, the player is supposed to determine the proper codec to use, not the file.

To me, the fact that it's even looking for avisynth.dll is a major red flag; this should not be happening in Linux. How did you install VLC? Did you get it via Synaptic Package Manager, or did you download it from the website, and if you downloaded it, what file did you download?

I ask because it is conceivable that the Windows executable (run by Wine) might look for outside dll files, but that's all I can think of. If you have the Linux version of VLC running, the only way the AVI file would be looking for a specific DLL is if it in fact was actually a script designed to corrupt Windows files.

Do all your AVI's do this, or is it just this Mall Cop one?

Yeah all of my .avi's have done this... I can make them play with sound if I click the window, but no video shows...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Okay, how did you install VLC?

I downloaded through 'add/remove' on Ubuntu.

I'm sorry if I have missed, but are you experiencing problem with .avi files from the beginning or the problem just started?

If it plays on webpages but not when downloaded to system then mostly we should suspect the downloaded copy as D-cat is trying to explain.

Do you have a dual boot system with windows? Do these downloaded files play in windows?

It may be far-fetched but could it be the work of the website owners to discourage downloading?...
    A candle looses nothing by lighting other candles. - Khalil Zibran.
    Registered Linux User #490076