Find the answer to your Linux question:
well, i use NFS at home with no problem... and i just got wondering, what if i typed my other computers IP into Mozilla Firefox, so i did... and it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Why does this happen

well, i use NFS at home with no problem... and i just got wondering, what if i typed my other computers IP into Mozilla Firefox, so i did... and it came up with a page that just says

IT WORKS!

why is that? i am just curious...

It seems that the computer you are connecting to, using Firefox, has Apache Web Server installed, right?

Just Joined!
    to tell you the truth... i would not have a clue...

almost a year ago, i got my laptop, and i decided to find a way to send files over the wireless at home... having samba only working when it deems fit i tried other methods like SSH, etc... when i finally came across NFS (which i have stuck with)

Linux Newbie
    A browser will by default connect on port 80 which is the default port for web servers. If you don't use it as a webserver, shut down apache and stop it from starting at boot. Or limit access to it.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by robotichead View Post
    to tell you the truth... i would not have a clue...

almost a year ago, i got my laptop, and i decided to find a way to send files over the wireless at home... having samba only working when it deems fit i tried other methods like SSH, etc... when i finally came across NFS (which i have stuck with)

It may be that Apache was installed as a dependency; I had to specifically install it on my *buntu setup.

You can turn it off from within the "services settings" application. If something else breaks you can turn it back on there too
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!