Find the answer to your Linux question:
I updated Kubuntu and am now using 9.04. When I made the switch, all my music in Amarok 2 which was under various artists is no longer there. I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Amarok 2 and Various Artists

I updated Kubuntu and am now using 9.04. When I made the switch, all my music in Amarok 2 which was under various artists is no longer there. I have to manually click "Show Under Various Artists." Is there any way that I can get Amarok to recognize it? I have tried switching back to Amarok 1.4 but for some reason the sound output did not work.

As I understand it they just squashed a bug in the updated release which prevented albums with more than 60 artists from being displayed under Various Artists. I'm not sure if this is what happened to you, but they are improving things very quickly. I'm running the Project Neon builds which are the nightly updates to Amarok and I'm definitely seeing the benefits - in my opinion the version that shipped with 9.04 was still a bit too raw.

Agreed, Amarok is going through a lot of changes right now and I look forward to the fall of this year when the event from Google "summer of code" is over. Supposedly that is when they will update the feature of Amarok that I love best, the Media device support.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Newbie
    The collections probably do have more than 60 Artists which is unfortunate. Is there anything I can do about that?

You can try running the Project Neon builds. You need to add another repository to your sources.list and you can then install a second Amarok alongside your own (it's sandboxed off as it's a development version). You should get almost daily updates then keeping you right up to date.

Check out this link and don't forget to import the signing key for it - if you're not sure how just ask and I'll walk you through it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Agreed, Amarok is going through a lot of changes right now and I look forward to the fall of this year when the event from Google "summer of code" is over. Supposedly that is when they will update the feature of Amarok that I love best, the Media device support.
    Hey Mike, are you without media device support now? I can access and manage my iPod through Amarok 2 now...it just shows up as a second collection when I plug it in, it's actually easier than the Amarok 1.4 series.