Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Hi! I installed Ubuntu 9.04 'inside' of the Windows XP OS because I heard that it was easier to get rid of if I didn't want the program any more. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7

    Getting rid of dual boot in Windows XP


    Hi!

    I installed Ubuntu 9.04 'inside' of the Windows XP OS because I heard that it was easier to get rid of if I didn't want the program any more. Well, I didn't want the
    Linux Ubuntu OS any more, so within Windows XP, I 'uninstalled' it. However, what I wasn't told, was that at startup, I would still see the 'dual boot' screen. Had I known that, I would have just used the Linux OS from the CD, that way, if I didn't want to use it any more, I didn't have to, and I wouldn't be stuck with the dual boot
    screen.

    Anyhow, since I'm fairly new to Linux, I would like to know how I can get rid of the
    dual boot screen without hurting the Windows XP OS? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    11
    I'm pretty new at this, so hopefully my advice can be verified by a more experienced user, but just formatting the Linux partition doesn't remove the Grub bootloader, which is the screen that pops up when you boot.

    Put your Windows XP CD into the drive and boot into the recovery console. Once you're there, run the following commands:

    Code:
    C:\>fixboot
    C:\>fixmbr
    You should be set then.

  3. #3
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Raddy View Post
    I'm pretty new at this, so hopefully my advice can be verified by a more experienced user, but just formatting the Linux partition doesn't remove the Grub bootloader, which is the screen that pops up when you boot.

    Put your Windows XP CD into the drive and boot into the recovery console. Once you're there, run the following commands:

    Code:
    C:\>fixboot
    C:\>fixmbr
    You should be set then.
    I tried what you suggested, but I couldn't get into the C: drive. I kept getting the
    'documents and settings' after the C:. How do I change 'directories' so that I'm only in the C: drive? Can I change what you suggested from the Windows XP 'command prompt' within windows xp? Thanks!

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #4
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    11
    It shouldn't matter what directory you're in as long as you're in the C drive, but to get to the C: root directory just type "cd\" and press enter

  6. #5
    Linux Guru reed9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    4,651
    He's suggesting you run these from the command line. In XP, go to Start>Run and type cmd to open.

    However, I don't believe that is necessary in your case. It sounds like you used WUBI to install Ubuntu in XP. In which case, I believe you just need to edit the file C:/boot.ini and delete any references to Ubuntu or WUBI.

  7. #6
    Just Joined! gazj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5
    No this is not from within the windows enviroment. You need to boot your computer using your windows xp install cd. When prompted select recovery console then issue the commands above.

  8. #7
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    He's suggesting you run these from the command line. In XP, go to Start>Run and type cmd to open.

    However, I don't believe that is necessary in your case. It sounds like you used WUBI to install Ubuntu in XP. In which case, I believe you just need to edit the file C:/boot.ini and delete any references to Ubuntu or WUBI.
    How do I edit the file C:/boot.ini and delete any references to Ubuntu or WUBI?
    When I tried to go into the command prompt and then entered the first line,
    C:\>fixboot, the message that I got, was, 'fixboot' is not recognized as an internal
    or external command, operable program or batch file. If I can't 'fix' the problem using
    the command prompt, then how do I 'edit' the boot.ini file? Thanks!

  9. #8
    Linux Guru reed9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    4,651
    When I tried to go into the command prompt and then entered the first line,
    C:\>fixboot, the message that I got, was, 'fixboot' is not recognized as an internal
    or external command, operable program or batch file
    Apparently this is actually done from the Windows Install (or rescue?) CD. But again, I don't think you need to do this. If you used WUBI, you didn't install a linux bootloader. It may work, though, I don't know. I'm not that familiar with Windows.

    For editing the boot.ini file, open a text editor, such as Notepad, select File>Open and navigate to your C:\ drive, and type boot.ini. I think the file is hidden, so you can't just point and click on it.

  10. #9
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    Apparently this is actually done from the Windows Install (or rescue?) CD. But again, I don't think you need to do this. If you used WUBI, you didn't install a linux bootloader. It may work, though, I don't know. I'm not that familiar with Windows.

    For editing the boot.ini file, open a text editor, such as Notepad, select File>Open and navigate to your C:\ drive, and type boot.ini. I think the file is hidden, so you can't just point and click on it.
    I'm finding it very hard to follow all the different ways to fix the problem I have.
    I would like to know how I can find the 'hidden files' in Windows XP and then
    delete the files suggested above? (i.e. Ubuntu and Wubi files). Thanks!

  11. #10
    Linux Guru reed9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    4,651
    Here are some screenshots to help. Open notepad, select File then Open. Go to C:\ and in your filename, type boot.ini





    You'll have an additional line reading something like c:\wubildr.mbr="Ubuntu"

    Delete it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •