Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Let's see. One is my Eee PC: Eee PC w/Ubuntu 9.04: Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04) Another is an older Intel P4 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Let's see. One is my Eee PC:

Eee PC w/Ubuntu 9.04:
    Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)

Another is an older Intel P4 D875PBZ desktop mobo. Running Mythbuntu 8.10 (I believe) It has no on board sound, and uses a sound card.

The third is a Zotac ION miniATX board:
    Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP79 High Definition Audio (rev b1)

I believe that the Eee PC doesn't have a system speaker, so I couldn't get the beep on that one. Some system boards have a piezo speaker soldered to them, though. Otherwise you could just unplug it. Not a real solution, but it would get rid of the noise.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    Right dudes...this system beep was configurable until Jaunty but now I can't seem to turn it off either.

I haven't done a lot of research into it because my tower doesn't do it, just my laptop. However, that said it is an ear-piercing beep from the motherboard speaker and quite frustrating, especially in public. There are two things that stick out to me here
    • This used to be configurable through Preferences > Sounds
    • Everything in Linux should be configurable
    I know this can be turned off but the option that used to do it has no effect now. I'll have a look into it and see what I can find. It annoys the piss out of me as it is very loud on my laptop.

EDIT - by the way Paul, this happens every shutdown. It does get kind of annoying, particularly since it's largely my non-techie wife that uses it.
    Preferences->Sounds is still presenting the configuration option for the "logout" (presumably the sound which should play at shutdown, given that I have used the "login" line to set the sound which is played at startup.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    Sorry, that wasn't what was reported in the original post. I have three Ubuntu installs, and it doesn't do in on any of them, so excuse my misunderstanding of the problem.

I do have a Debian based machine that does not shut down properly unless I run the shutdown command, then I get that beep. I don't find it excessively annoying though.

Now that I checked it, my Ubuntu's don't make ANY sound when shutting down, when the settings say it should. Only the startup audio.
    Sorry if my OP was confusing - you aren't the first, although I'm still not 100% sure how so many were on a different page altogether.

If I didn't say this to begin with, it's a Jaunty issue. I know I mentioned that it's with the GUI, don't know what happens with a command-line shutdown, or what should be expected with the available options there which I still don't know.

There's not enough information in that bug fix that was discussed between you and bigtomrodney for ME to tell if the situation was similar, but then I'm not a a real geek. I was actually planning to master the linux command system, and study programming, but if I ever do I'll just have to give it up with all these annoying bugs first.

I raised this issue because it was the oldest on my to-do list, but there are more serious problems. People who are serious enough about their computing to even try linux probably won't run over an error concering sound clips and short beeps that don't drone on endlessly, but not adding to the litany should be taken seriously. For example, how many file guis (nautilus) will develop a bug in which it interrupts what you are typing, and spawns a new tab every time you type an "r" within the Rename or Search dialog? Nautilus is probably the most capable file gui file system in linux, but people who were working (or playing) with optical media and media-file metadata in Windows know what the linux guis still can't do, bugs or no bugs.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Since this is so annoying that it will keep you away from Linux, you may want to use a different distro. Fedora is a good OS for learning and development. Since a lot of businesses use Red Hat for servers, this could be an advantage. (Fedora is the developmental arm of Red Hat)
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Since this is so annoying that it will keep you away from Linux, you may want to use a different distro. Fedora is a good OS for learning and development. Since a lot of businesses use Red Hat for servers, this could be an advantage. (Fedora is the developmental arm of Red Hat)
    Since WHAT is so annying that it will keep ME away?

Ubuntu seems to be the leading distro, not because it's perfect, but that it isn't as bad as the others, and there's software available. More are able to install it on their computers, within a timeframe not measured in days. I believe I've tried every distro, half of which failed to load the install program, or complete that once it started. Therefore, sorry, but you won't so easily be getting rid of me after all the time invested in the distro which isn't all that bad.

So we put up with the errors, or we make like monks and spend all our time filing bug reports, until it becomes clear that there will always be more annoyances popping up, some which are critical to operations, and faster than they get fixed! That, and the geeks don't care about half of the gui bugs, 'cause they think the whole world should have time to go pick up the command manual and get their eyes transplanted just to accomplish some of the simple tasks which they are used to doing without that hassle. NEWS FOR GEEKS - the command line is NOT more elegant for the job of formatting CD/DVD media when you are currently navigating through the gui!

Anyway, what about all the posts from people who leave Fedora for Ubuntu, and the shutdown of Fedora support which was being discussed everywhere in April?

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by DGeeez View Post
    Since WHAT is so annying that it will keep ME away?
    The BEEP! That's what this thread is about.

Ubuntu seems to be the leading distro, not because it's perfect, but that it isn't as bad as the others, and there's software available. More are able to install it on their computers, within a timeframe not measured in days.
    The same can be said of Fedora. Plenty of software available, and it always works for me.
    I believe I've tried every distro, half of which failed to load the install program, or complete that once it started. Therefore, sorry, but you won't so easily be getting rid of me after all the time invested in the distro which isn't all that bad.
    i don't want to get rid of you. I want to help you find a distro that will keep you happy, and a Linux user.

So we put up with the errors, or we make like monks and spend all our time filing bug reports, until it becomes clear that there will always be more annoyances popping up, some which are critical to operations, and faster than they get fixed! That, and the geeks don't care about half of the gui bugs, 'cause they think the whole world should have time to go pick up the command manual and get their eyes transplanted just to accomplish some of the simple tasks which they are used to doing without that hassle. NEWS FOR GEEKS - the command line is NOT more elegant for the job of formatting CD/DVD media when you are currently navigating through the gui!
    If my Ubuntu installs were making the annoying BEEPS that you have reported, I would have installed Fedora over them! I started using the Ubuntu version Mythbuntu, that is what first lead me to Ubuntu. Otherwise it was Fedora or Suse for me.

The terminal actually is better for some things. You will come to learn that, in time. And, the tasks can be performed without a desktop even being installed. If you work on servers, you may find that they don't have a Xserver installed.
    Anyway, what about all the posts from people who leave Fedora for Ubuntu, and the shutdown of Fedora support which was being discussed everywhere in April?
    Do you mean that they drop support for the oldest version when a newer version is released? Even Ubuntu does that. Fedora is currently supporting versions 10 and 11.

Just Joined!
    The BEEP! That's what this thread is about.

The same can be said of Fedora. Plenty of software available, and it always works for me.

i don't want to get rid of you. I want to help you find a distro that will keep you happy, and a Linux user.

If my Ubuntu installs were making the annoying BEEPS that you have reported, I would have installed Fedora over them!
    I didn't think you considered it enough of an issue to discuss. For me it's worth discussing as an aesthetic quality issue, and then there's the fact that the beep runs against settings in System->Preferences->Sound. I'm still not clear whether this issue is uncommon to most other Jaunty users who have an internal speaker. Anyway, I've already put enough effort into my gui graphics which I won't want to deal with again for awhile, so it would take that damned beep going off with every keystroke to get me doing a clean install now. At least I don't get interrupted by it. I am somewhat disgusted because it is a bona-fide, sloppy, and rather prominent bug, therefore I think it should be considered embarrassing enough to warrant an exterminator call, but nobody who could fix it cares. Fine, there really are bigger problems to deal with, such as Nautilus bugs (if I never find a way to make it stop launching a new tab each time I hit an "r" while on the Search line, then at least I know Thunar will run in GNOME).

Security aside, Linux is much more stable than Windows, and sometimes faster, but the guis are token, and the bugs are far more weird! Still, I don't miss all the time I used to spend dealing with security programs. Oh, and there's really not an easier menu system to deal with than Gnome.

I started using the Ubuntu version Mythbuntu, that is what first lead me to Ubuntu. Otherwise it was Fedora or Suse for me.

The terminal actually is better for some things. You will come to learn that, in time. And, the tasks can be performed without a desktop even being installed.
    Surprise, I'm not a command-line virgin, although I did get sidetracked by the aesthetics of configurable guis, which then pulled me into a game of whack-a-mole with their own bugs. The command line is certainly good for the pros who run servers to be able perform operations without a gui at all, but I don't want to do everything that way now, because I don't know how to do everything that way now. When I have to spend hours scanning reference materials in order to do what I already know how to do on the gui, and the gui is available, but it won't do what the MIcrosoft gui will do for me, then I end up taking that CD to my Windows laptop to get it formatted, so that I can use it to free up space on my hard drive. I had to learn that trick only once, and when I needed to repeat it two months later, I didn't need to break out a manual just to remember how. It takes much commitment and study before that isn't needed for command-line tricks, but there will be time for that over the winter.

Some things really are done more elegantly when done on the command line. I know how that works with some of them, and some operations even seem to complete faster this way (faster runtime). But take this scenario - you insert a DVD so that you can unload some files from the hard drive. You get a dialog message that it isn't really blank, but it doesn't show any files, or wouldn't show what you would want to keep, so you decide to format it. This always fixes the error, but it can't be done through Nautilus, which you are already in! So I have to launch another dialogue box (Terminal), and navigate through that to the same point where Nautilus already is. If I can find the correct command, with the correct options, the correct syntax, and figure out which device number my DVD is under the /media folder (never could do it without Nautilus showing the path), then maybe there will still be enough time left in this hypothetical evening (been there) to put this DVD to use. How's that for pointless? That's why, in the absence of reasonable security conflict arguments (I don't actually know this) I would like to see formatting power in the gui - even if security issues have been cited over this, it should be possible to restrict gui formatting to specific device types. Any situation which would be expected to arise in the gui, we should be able to resolve in the gui.

I know there are more options available through the command line (staggering in number), and that those which are even useful can be more easily combined. concerning the combination of command options. Some file operations seem to complete faster this way, too. but when I need to move many files (not a whole folder), the file names are long, and not similar, then how can Terminal match the power of CTRL+Left_Mouse_Click -> Repeat to select other files? This operation somehow seems too complex to be handled by just one command.

If you work on servers, you may find that they don't have a Xserver installed.
    Do you mean that they drop support for the oldest version when a newer version is released? Even Ubuntu does that. Fedora is currently supporting versions 10 and 11.
    If you use Fedora, I would know less than you, but I somehow had the impression that it's future was in question.

Like I said, I really have tried a lot of distros, and most were hopelessly disappointing. Some problems may have been resolved had I understood more then about the need to go and find your own drivers for most of them when your computer isn't one of a few very common models - others had bugs like you wouldn't believe (between Mandriva, Kubuntu, and at least one other kde version, I can't decide which is worse, but now I know I don't like kde). Some some distros played havoc with my display before the live CD could load (Puppy Linux, Knoppix), some didn't load at all (I recall that with Arch Linux and SUSE). The Debian installation process should be measured in days, not hours, and after going through a hundred or so questions which I have never had to deal with while installing other distros, I was disgusted to see that, after reaching the bottom of the whole one-page list, that I could find no working way for the installer to save everything, and complete the install - so I decided I should probably stick with Ubuntu, which I'll always be able to install! I don't recall if I ever touched Fedora or not, maybe I decided not to after what happened with other older distros. Anyway, my health requires that I take a break from most, if not all of this, for awhile. The winter's coming...

Just Joined!
    Ohhhhh......DAMMIT!!! Waterhead got me thinking too much about it, and now I'll just have to see if Fedora will at least install somewhere on my hard drive. The reason I never touched that distro to begin with was what seemed a good one at the time - it's the beta line for commercialized Red Hat. Well, the difference only looks more blurred now, when Ubuntu has it's own commercial ambition. Somehow I had missed that they are still as popular (or close) as Ubuntu, and their website doesn't smell of condescending crap, either.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3