Find the answer to your Linux question:
What do you consider the best CD ripper in Ubuntu/Linux? The reason I ask is tonight I went to rip some tracks of of a CD. I hadn't done it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oxf
    Linux Newbie

Best CD ripper?

What do you consider the best CD ripper in Ubuntu/Linux?

The reason I ask is tonight I went to rip some tracks of of a CD. I hadn't done it for a while and not since I reinstalled and moved from 8.04 to 9.04. First off Sound Juicer (CD extractor) wasn't there and I had to add it. I'm convinced it was already there by default in Hardy but maybe my memories corrupted. Anyway I installed it and riped away. It seemed slower than I remember in Hardy? But maybe not.

Anyway it got me thinking about other/better alternatives. that might be faster. Curious to hear your thoughts on this. For what its worth I was ripping VBR at the highest quality = "0".

MIke

I use asunder pretty much exclusively. It's lightweight, fewer dependencies than soundjuicer and does everything I need it to.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I wouldn't say there is a best, but I prefer Grip when using GNOME or XFCE.

Traditionally I preferred grip, I thought it was great. I was quite resistant to trying Sound-Juicer but there's one really good reason: straight through ripping. Grip used to rip to wav and then using lame/oggenc/bladenc/whatever to encode the raw wav to your desired format. Sound-Juicer actually uses Gstreamer and pipes the rip straight to mp3 or ogg saving as much as 5 minutes per CD rip. It used to take me maybe 6-7 minutes to rip using Grip but now Sound-Juicer never takes longer than two minutes and is usually a lot less.

I'm not sure why it's running slow for you, maybe try deleting your config file so that you can start with a default setup and see how you get on.

I still prefer grip, but maybe I'm a masochist. I prefer the control I have with grip over the quality and naming process.