Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have run into this before when dealing with hard drives.. but never with USB keys. I downloaded UNetBootin and created a bootable USB key with it for 9.10 64bit. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Karmic Koala Installation Problems

I have run into this before when dealing with hard drives.. but never with USB keys.

I downloaded UNetBootin and created a bootable USB key with it for 9.10 64bit. It downloaded the distro, copied the files over, and then installed the bootloader. However, when I try to boot to it I get the 'Bootmgr is missing' message.

The machine I am trying to install this on has 2 drives, the Slave is a media drive, the master hdd has 3 partitions on it (1 for windows 7, one that I want to install ubuntu on, and then a media partition to share between the two operating systems).

I installed Windows 7 64 bit earlier today and now want to install ubuntu into a dual boot environment. I am doing ubuntu second so that GRUB does not get over written.

I have tried to load it up through windows but it just gives me the option to reboot (which it doesn't seem to do), to install it along side windows as a executable program (don't want to do this), or to install a cd boot helper (tried this, failed while extracting. "an error occurred: could not retrieve required installation files" )

I should also add that I have already tried to add bootmgr to the usb key via bootsect.exe on the windows 7 dvd. I ran bootsect.exe /nt60 and it said it was successful, however upon rebooting I received the same message as before.

my usb key is formatted as NTFS, would this cause a problem? does it need to bet FAT32?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

just wanted to update.

I re-formated the usb stick as FAT32 and re-did Unetbootin on the stick for 9.10 64bit.

This time I got into the Unetbootin bootloader and selected default.

This is what I got

Code:
    Loading /ubnkern...............................................
    Loading /ubninit...............................................
    BusyBox v1.13.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.13.3-1ubuntu7) built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands

(initramfs) mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on //filesystem.squashfs failed: Invalid argument
    Can not mount /dev/loop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs) on //filesystem.squashfs
    This is on my HP dv9231ca Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo T5600 1.8Ghz

So I decided to try using the 32 bit 9.10 instead to see if I got any further.

This time I get a little bit further, it loads up ubnkern and ubninit, says ready, goes to a screen with a white ubuntu logo, screen then goes back, then it turns into a flashing pinkish purpleish screen with some random blocks of other colors. Keeps doing this until I restart.

Never had this much trouble trying to install a distro.. what exactly is going on here?

perhaps it is UNetbootin? I am running it under Windows 7 (in Vista SP2 Compatibility mode and running as administrator). I will try in Jaunty with usb-creator.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    just googled 'linux bootmgr is missing' and this painfully unhelpful thread is the #1 result. deletion might be warranted.

Hi, mystery66. Welcome to LinuxForums.

This thread is over 2 years old, so locking it down.
    If, however, you see any open postings that you feel that you could contribute to, please feel free to join in.

And we don't actually delete threads unless there is good reason to do so, such as obvious spam content or flaming/trolling.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.