Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I have had Kubuntu run on 256mb of ram, (kubuntu 8.10) but without swap it won't boot to a Desktop. If it did. KDE would be like mollasas. I generally ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I have had Kubuntu run on 256mb of ram, (kubuntu 8.10) but without swap it won't boot to a Desktop. If it did. KDE would be like mollasas.

I generally run AntiX or Puppy Linux on older low end Hardware with good results but I have been doing this Linux thing for awhile now.

Yep, if you had KDE3.5 it sounds like Kubuntu 8.04 LTS or 8.10 which is still current. I am typing this in Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.

Lots of ways to restore grub. You can do this with a live cd also. Lots of Documentation on the net for this.
    How To Restore Grub In Ubuntu – Make Tech Easier

Don't know if you downl;oaded and Burned the NEW Parted Magic ISO but it also has SuperGrub as part of the boot menu also. Good Luck with it.Super Grub Disk Homepage
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Yes, I've tried to restore GRUB using Live CD, however, upon entering find /boot/grub/stage1 I receive messages Error 15: File not found. Then, entering commands find /boot/grub/menu.lst and find /boot/grub/grub.cfg produces same error message.

Now am looking at that Parted Magic CD as my hope. Thanks.

Maybe you do not have /boot/grub/menu.lst wrote into root folder. with live cd running desktop. Open File manager and maneuver to where you should show a bunch a files like etc,usr,opt,var,lib stuff like that. They should be in sda5 or hda5 in your file manager.

One of the first files in that section should say boot. Inside should be a grub folder. Inside that should be a text file called menu.lst. To give you a general idea of what a functional menu.lst should look like. Here is my multi boot /boot/grub/menu.lst even with Windows 2000 Pro on it

Code:
    timeout 15
    color cyan/blue white/blue
    foreground ffffff
    background 0639a1

gfxmenu /boot/grub/message

title Biker Antix 8.2 at hda6, kernel 2.6.27-1-mepis-smp
    root (hd0,5)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-1-mepis-smp root=/dev/hda6 nomce quiet nosplash vga=791 acpi=force
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-1-mepis-smp
    boot

title Popeye Puppy Linux 431 full install
    root (hd0,3)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda4 pmedia=atahd nosmp

title Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional at hda1
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

title MEMTEST
    kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin

title antiX 8.5 Beta 3 at hda7, kernel 2.6.32-1-mepis-smp
    root (hd0,6)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-1-mepis-smp root=/dev/hda7 nomce quiet nosplash vga=791 
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-1-mepis-smp
    boot
    Titles are my own entries so I can tell what is what plus they make it interesting so disregard some of the title names. They are mine and mine alone.

Parted Magic has Super Grub Option in its Boot up Menu which is actually a "Grub Boot" /boot/grub/menu.lst itself. Pick the Super Grub option. Then tell Super Grub to install a /boot/grub/menu.lst (which in super grub means install grub) to the MBR of Hardrive(I think, I haven't done this kind of repair in a very long while so read that super grub link I gave you to make sure where you want grub to go so it boot Windows and Ubuntu to be sure).

Like I said. I can't swear it should be MBR so read up a bit first before trying repair using the link I gave you. There, second warning so you know I am serious.

Next time you decide to open a partition manager a reformat a partition. It may be a good idea now that you see how dangerous the procedure is to ask here first on how to go about it. Good luck as always. You are learning how to jump through hoops and approach this as a learning experience. I am not a programmer, Just a biker. And the crap you are going through is how I learned Linux also.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Before I try anything, here is some new info:

When I boot Kubuntu Live CD, I see two partitions of interest: one is my damaged swap (if that's swap at the first place) which can be opened. There are few files and folders (I've made back-up of them), but I think Windows created them when swap was reformatted by my mistake. Also, Kubuntu Live CD reports it's file system as NTFS.

The second one is Linux, and Live CD calls it Volume (ext3). However, I cannot open it! Almost identical situation like it is in Windows. So I assume that your advice from above post won't work.

Moreover, Dolphin pops-up following message when I try to open it:

An error occurred while accessing 'Volume (ext3)', the system responded: org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda5. missing codepage or helper program, or other error In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so

And yes, I will read carefully documentation before attempting anything.

EDIT: OK, I received advice that I should run fsck on Linux partition. Looks like file system is damaged there. I will report any results.

Linux Guru
    You can't "recover" your swap partition because there is nothing to recover. A swap partition does not retain any data. Just create a new one as suggested. If you formatted what you thought might have been your swap partition as ntfs, there may be some windows files on it??

What was your original setup?
    Did you originally have some version of windows and then install Kubuntu?
    Do you know what your partition structure was before you deleted this partition?
    If you delete a partition, the numbering of partitions after it will change which could be why you get the partition not found error 22.
    You said you tried to do a recovery with windows and it failed and that you thought the windows setup might have destroyed Grub, so did you start to run setup in windows? This could be the cause of the last error message you reported??.

Just Joined!
    My data is minced into binary salad...

I will post detailed info later.

Oh yeah, from now on, only Linux and regular back-up. Multiple partitions NO MORE.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2