Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
All the people with i spoke about this problem and those who tried to help me can't find a possible solution. With Windows it works perfectly... Thanks again for you ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

All the people with i spoke about this problem and those who tried to help me can't find a possible solution. With Windows it works perfectly...

Thanks again for you help

Just Joined!

new discover

I recover this thread because i still want to install linux, but also the last distros don't detect my dvd writer. But i understand that the problem is the kernel:

with kernel 2.6.18 or 2.6.19 (centos or puppy) the dvd writer works and livecd start. With a newer kernel it doesn't work.
    BSD Livecd seems starts without any particular problem. Also with Solaris works fine (i tried some time ago the last SUN SOLARIS, not ORACLE so i don't know if dvd writer works also on oracle solaris). The problem, imho, is with some update of the linux kernel.

Any idea about how to solve this problem?

EDIT: can i install a new distro and compile an older kernel?

I would recommend that you search the kernel bug site to see if it's already been reported as a bug, if not, you might consider filing a new bug report. I think this link is for kernel 2.6 only.
    Hmmm, that's odd, these links aren't working for me but maybe they will for you.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs...ting-bugs.html
    https://bugzilla.kernel.org/
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    The links aren't working I'll try tomorrow (here in Italy is 10.46 PM ) buti don't know what i have to do to report a bug

Well, if the links were working, I believe it tells you how to submit a bug report and what you need to know. Hopefully the links will work soon. I find it really odd that they don't work.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    The links still don't work i hope they will work soon

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by Enry211 View Post
    EDIT: can i install a new distro and compile an older kernel?
    Yes. Do you have a way to install a distro in the first place, though (USB DVD device, network/PXE boot, etc.)?

You can get vanilla Linux kernel 2.6.19 here:

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/

The instructions to recompile are in the README in the root of the kernel source tarball.

Just Joined!
    I can install a distro from a net-inst or via bootable-USB. I did it many times

If i recompile, for example, a 2.6.19 kernel in Fedora 16 or in the last Ubuntu release could i have come compatibility problem?

EDIT: can i use any distro or it's better to use Gentoo where i compile everything?

Trusted Penguin
    If i recompile, for example, a 2.6.19 kernel in Fedora 16 or in the last Ubuntu release could i have come compatibility problem?
    Do you mean compatibility with the host OS? If so, probably not. Or do you mean hardware? If so, probably not, provided that you have no cutting edge hardware, which I'm guessing you don't.

EDIT: can i use any distro or it's better to use Gentoo where i compile everything?
    Gentoo, is built from sources, yes. But that doesn't mean you can't recompile a kernel on pretty much *any* Linux distro - you just need to the compiling packages installed (gcc, make, binutils, etc.).

I've done it for years on Fedora/RH/CentOS machines with no problems (in terms of the compilation itself anyways).

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    Do you mean compatibility with the host OS? If so, probably not. Or do you mean hardware? If so, probably not, provided that you have no cutting edge hardware, which I'm guessing you don't.
    I'm not very expert, so i simply mean "any problem". Maybe some program or the OS may not work fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    I've done it for years on Fedora/RH/CentOS machines with no problems (in terms of the compilation itself anyways).
    i'm going to install Fedora XFCE Spin, is it fine? can i install it and recompile the kernel without any problem (in principle)?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast