Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just created a ubuntu eee bootable usb stick. The 701 has ms xp installed but is useless due to the ram capacity All is well in the usb ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy asus 701 pc eee

I have just created a ubuntu eee bootable usb stick. The 701 has ms xp installed but is useless due to the ram capacity All is well in the usb install but I cannot get the wireless connection to work.I have tried to do a manual configuration to no avail and at a loss as to what to try next.Maybe I am not entering the correct parameters.Any help will be greatly appreciated as I am new to the use of ubuntu/ linux.A walk thru of the method would be good.I have a medion pc with windows xp running on a netgear wireless router.I really wish to use ubuntu but now I am getting fed up.
    .Also is there a method fo the bootup to start without entering the bios and setting the boot sequence every time

Thanks in anticipation for a resolve to the problem.

Linux Guru
    Also is there a method fo the bootup to start without entering the bios and setting the boot sequence every time
    Not sure what you mean by this? You can't skip the BIOS but are you needing to hit F8 or F9 to select boot device?

Do you have only Ubuntu on the machine now? Which release, 9.10 or earlier?
    What wireless hardware do you have on the Asus?
    It would be helpful if you made a note of the steps you take to connect wireless. Doing it with the Network Manager, from the command line? Post whatever errors you get at which point.

Linux Guru
    I own a 900 and to boot usb. Yes ,if you use Esc . You will have to use the menu entry in the every time you boot. I haven't tried changing bios boot order in Setup of Bios (which is what you would need to do to permantley change boot order sequence) because I install Linux to the internal 4 gig SSD from the live USB. I have booted a bunch of Linux Distros including Ubuntu off of Live USB and was able to connect wireless every time. Even in Puppy.

So as Yaneck has said.
    Do you have only Ubuntu on the machine now? Which release, 9.10 or earlier?
    What wireless hardware do you have on the Asus?
    It would be helpful if you made a note of the steps you take to connect wireless. Doing it with the Network Manager, from the command line? Post whatever errors you get at which point.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close