Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running VMWare Fusion 2.0.6 on a MacPro Xeon 8-core 3.2Ghz. I have Ubuntu installed and can login via the account I created but cannot unpack .run files via, sh ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Cannot Login as root even with No GUI and after setting password for root

I'm running VMWare Fusion 2.0.6 on a MacPro Xeon 8-core 3.2Ghz.

I have Ubuntu installed and can login via the account I created but cannot unpack .run files via,

sh [runfilename].run

As it says it requires root.

So I go to Administration and set the root password and permission to "Administer the System" and I change the Session Login to Failsafe Terminal (It offers Run Xclient, GNOME, Secure Remote, Failsafe GNOME and Failsafe Terminal).

But no matter what I do, Ubuntu, latest versoin, on Failsafe Terminal or GNOME sais "root cannot login from this screen"

I'm a Linux newbie but am excited about it. I hope it can access my NVIDIA Quadro 5600 from VMWare as the Mac OS X and NVIDIA appear to be having issues with each other, NVIDIA isn't supporting any driver for the 5600 Apple sold me, and Apple blames NVIDIA, and NVIDIA blames Apple.

This is a $26,000 system too, I got all the best for it, and the Quadro FX 5600 was the best choice available at the time from the Apple Store. Plus the NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 has a SKU number that is specific to MacPro, so even though I love NVIDIA, them blaming Apple isn't right, I should have a driver for Mac OS X but they won't provide it.

And Apple won't certify the 5600, apparently INTEL is part of this Resistance against NVIDIA also.

So I'm turning to Linux. Ubuntu is the best correct? It runs fast as heck. Is Fedora 11 better?

Thanks in advance for any help with the root login issue in particular.

Most distros disable graphical root login by default for security reasons.

For Ubuntu, your user is setup with administrative privileges during the installation process, using a program called sudo.

The correct way in ubuntu to run your script with root privileges is to do
    Code:
    sudo sh [runfilename].run
    If you have setup a true root password, you can log in to the terminal as root using su.
    Code:
    su -
    or
    Code:
    su
    The first way changes the whole environment, variables and whatnot, to root.

Ubuntu is the most popular linux distro. It's hard to point at any particular distro and say "This is the best." It all depends on the individual user, what they like, and what they are looking for. The major distros are comparably good at most things and it comes down to user preference.

For VMWare and your Nvidia card - a virtual machine has virtual hardware. It cannot directly access your host machine's real hardware. To have hardware accelerating in the guest OS, you must have it working in the host.

This is a $26,000 system too...
    Holy moly! What do you need a $26,000 system for??

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Actually, you can alter your system to allow root logins, but as reed9 suggested, this is not recommended for Ubuntu systems. However, the command to unlock the root user account (login as regular user with sudo privileges first): sudo passwd -u root
    That will enable you to login as root after you have set the password, which you said you already did. Just setting the password will allow you to su root, but it won't let you login as root. To do that you also need to unlock the account as shown above.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Actually, you can alter your system to allow root logins, but as reed9 suggested, this is not recommended for Ubuntu systems. However, the command to unlock the root user account (login as regular user with sudo privileges first): sudo passwd -u root
    That will enable you to login as root after you have set the password, which you said you already did. Just setting the password will allow you to su root, but it won't let you login as root. To do that you also need to unlock the account as shown above.
    I apologize for my newbie-ness.

I used XWindows and Unix in College but am relatively new to Linux.

I can only execute commands from the Terminal it seems from Ubuntu, _After_ I login.

How do I execute these command line commands you are mentioning like su passwd -u root before logging in?

I want to do the right thing, so if I login using that root, after I figure out how to run the command line before logging in, can I just remove the Administration privileges?

If I can get Fedora 11 via download and install it and it's better than I will do that because I'm just getting going. Need to install LINUX and NVIDIA Linux Drivers since they're not supporting Quadro FX 5600 on Mac OS X and I want to run Blender 3D on Linux because it is so fast.

On a random note, does anyone know which 3D software (including Compositing) that was used in the Gorillaz STYLO video (at youtube.com/user/gorillaz?blend=2&ob=1]YouTube - gorillaz's Channel)