Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently downloaded the Universal USB Installer v1.1 and put Ubuntu on the flash drive. I put it into my laptop, and had it set to boot from flash drive, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Universal USB Installer

I recently downloaded the Universal USB Installer v1.1 and put Ubuntu on the flash drive.

I put it into my laptop, and had it set to boot from flash drive, and it didn't do anything. Is it supposed to just auto run from the flash drive and format my hard drive and put Ubuntu on it?

Quote Originally Posted by dabrowski View Post
    I recently downloaded the Universal USB Installer v1.1 and put Ubuntu on the flash drive.

I put it into my laptop, and had it set to boot from flash drive, and it didn't do anything. Is it supposed to just auto run from the flash drive and format my hard drive and put Ubuntu on it?
    No, it's supposed to auto-run and show you a menu with options to run Ubuntu from the USB, install it directly, run Memtest, etc. (I don't remember all of the options right now).

Did you just copy the Ubuntu files over or did you use the usb-creator program? More info on this here.

Also, another thing I'd try is to hold the key for selecting the boot media when your computer boots. I've had computers not want to boot from USB despite the BIOS being setup to allow it. The key which you hold right after turning on the computer varies from one manufacturer to the next, it's often F2, F8 or del.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    It worked. Thanks.

Where is the equivalent of the Windows device manager? I have a wireless adapter but don't know where to start to find a driver for it.

I have a wireless adapter but don't know where to start to find a driver for it.
    Don't think in Windows way when running Linux. You probably already either have a driver installed maybe. All you may need to do is open your Network Manager and tick on the box enable wireless maybe.

For any other wireless problem. Start a New thread Here and follow the instructions before you post there from Here.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home