Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, On my Ubuntu 8.10, gvfsd takes up 128.6MB memory. What is the process doing actually? Can I reduce the memory it takes? Thanks and regards!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

gvfsd takes up too much memory

Hi,

On my Ubuntu 8.10, gvfsd takes up 128.6MB memory. What is the process doing actually? Can I reduce the memory it takes?

Thanks and regards!

Quote Originally Posted by lehe View Post
    Hi,

On my Ubuntu 8.10, gvfsd takes up 128.6MB memory. What is the process doing actually? Can I reduce the memory it takes?

Thanks and regards!
    searching for gvfsd (didn't knew it) I found this
    Re: Stopping gvfsd gracefully

gvfs I am a bit more familiar with, it's the GNOME Virtual File System, its related to fuse, and applications use it to create virtual file systems. Google for "gvfs" and you'll find a lot.

Reading the link, it seems you must have some apllication that uses gvfs running. I don't think its only gnome itself, but it can be.
    How did you check for the memory it is using, so I my compare with my machine?

Regards
    Luis

have you done a system update yet? I would try to update to 9.1 or 10.04, probably would help out a great deal. gvfsd is the daemon of gvfs and it has known issues of doing exactly what your talking about. havent seen a fix in google but I would assume that the newer versions of ubuntu have dealt with this issue.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

gvfsd-metadata using more cpu than anyother process....

Quote Originally Posted by ptkobe View Post
    gvfs I am a bit more familiar with, it's the GNOME Virtual File System, its related to fuse, and applications use it to create virtual file systems. Google for "gvfs" and you'll find a lot.....

Regards
    Luis
    ptkobe, thank you for making the connection for us, that gvfsd is part of fuse (fuseiso).
    i didn't like how much cpu time gvfsd-metadata was using.
    Also, i didn't find fuse of any use. i installed it trying to mount an iso as a dvd and it Didn't work for that.
    i could already mount an iso as a directory (folder), so fuse was once again, useless.
    i had problems with fuse in the past messing up my mount table and moving mounts out of order
    ( it would try and mount a drive in a folder before the drive that contained the folder was mounted... )
    fuse sucked back then, it sucks now .
    fuse / fuseiso / gvfsd-* is now gone and my memory / cpu usage is back to norm...

thanks again,
    Landis.