Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've burned a few copies of the Kubuntu Live CD from their website, using the option to download from a torrent. Each time, I will be taken to the screen ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kubuntu 10.04 Live CD will not boot

I've burned a few copies of the Kubuntu Live CD from their website, using the option to download from a torrent. Each time, I will be taken to the screen that gives you the options to try Kubuntu without installing, to install it, to do a memory test, to check the Live CD for errors and bad sectors (done this a few times...it reports no errors), etc. After I choose "Try Kubuntu before installing" it will, after a loading bar, give a black screen. I'll then hear a noise which I assume is the sound Kubuntu makes each time you log on, and then it hangs up at a black screen and nothing happens.

I've checked the md5 and it seems to be accurate.
    Tried to use two different types of disks.

I don't know what the problem is.

Could you guys possibly give some insight into any other reasons why this would be happening?

Just Joined!
    It turns out the md5 hash was incorrect. How is that possible?

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Brushstroke View Post
    It turns out the md5 hash was incorrect. How is that possible?
    That is what doing a md5sum check is for. To check the integrity of the downloaded Iso. As far as "Why". Could be a number of reasons. A dropped connection to a seeder. Corrupted file. Bad connection on your end. My ISP can be horrendous sometimes for intermittent connections.

Sometimes I will lose a connection on a

Code:
    apt-get upgrade
    Because my ISP server will be flaky on that day. Makes my day a long one (with some mumbling) when that happens. Just keep trying till the md5sum checks OK. Then do the burn real sloooooooow.

Happy Trails, Rok

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    did you try to download from distrowatch instead of the torrent? I've had good luck downloading from the links on distrowatch.

Quote Originally Posted by hatebreed View Post
    did you try to download from distrowatch instead of the torrent? I've had good luck downloading from the links on distrowatch.
    Amen, I've not had a problem with any of distrowatchs mirrors.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.