Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am new to Ubuntu and generally find it excellent in comparison with Windows Vista. Today I tried to install Emerald and I typed into the terminal 'replace --emerald'. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to Reverse a Change

I am new to Ubuntu and generally find it excellent in comparison with Windows Vista.

Today I tried to install Emerald and I typed into the terminal 'replace --emerald'.

I have now lost my original theme and also the top bar of the windows so I cannot move them and have no buttons to close or minimise them. I have tried to uninstall compiz with no result and I have tried to reinstall my original theme MacOS-X again with no result.

Is there an easy way to get back to where I was before? I am not very familiar with Ubuntu so any guidance will have to be fairly simple. Is there something like a system restore function?

Hi!

I am new to Ubuntu and generally find it excellent in comparison with Windows Vista.
    Anything seems to be excellent in camparison to Vista. MS made a killing out of it, IMO. Sold all their Vista. Then people got disappointed and went back to XP, and now they released Windows 7.
    So some had to buy 3 times.

Today I tried to install Emerald and I typed into the terminal 'replace --emerald'.

I have now lost my original theme and also the top bar of the windows so I cannot move them and have no buttons to close or minimise them. I have tried to uninstall compiz with no result and I have tried to reinstall my original theme MacOS-X again with no result.

Is there an easy way to get back to where I was before? I am not very familiar with Ubuntu so any guidance will have to be fairly simple. Is there something like a system restore function?
    Have you tried Systems -> Admin -> Synaptic Package Manager?

nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Just Joined!
    I have been playing around with this and I can get back to the themes by going into appearances and themes. The problem seems to be that I have lost the top bar of the window with all the buttons. This means I can't click a window to close it or move it around the desktop. It may just be that it is hidden beneath the top panel.

Just Joined!
    I seem to have resolved this by going to the top panel and sending it to the bottom. This exposed the top bar of the windows and I was then able to move them etc.

The problem seems to have been resolved. I am slowly getting to grips with this system and can generally resolve most issues with a bit of playing around and good old trial and error. It concerns me though if I do something that is beyond my skills and might damage the system.

It concerns me though if I do something that is beyond my skills and might damage the system.
    You'll find out soon enough if you did something wrong. It took me several trial&error clean installs to get some systems running as smooth as I wanted them to be. The good thing is: each time you learn more what you shouldn't do. Make sure to backup important data before doing something potentially dangerous, specially when you do things as superuser.

Just Joined!
    Thanks. That is very good advise. I usually find that with most things I can get them to work eventually and confidence is growing - slowly. I find Ubuntu really excellent and a lot of fun. I am just amazed why anyone would want to work in Microsoft if they can have Ubuntu.