Find the answer to your Linux question:
Transcending beyond Newbie here. Maybe somebody could point me in the right direction. I have been having issues with disk errors and having to press f to fix errors during ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hibernate or spin down or hard shutdown causes errors

Transcending beyond Newbie here.

Maybe somebody could point me in the right direction. I have been having issues with disk errors and having to press f to fix errors during startup or having to run fsck on a live CD. It seems to happen whenever the computer goes into a mode not regular from shutting it down. I have not quite tested it but I suspect it is from one/a few/all of the following:

-hibernate. (not tested fully)
    -Suspend (just had this happen the other day, caused errors
    -Spin down disk whenever possible (Had my computer on for a while, did not enter Suspend or hibernate, but had errors on next startup after this)
    -Hard shutdown, as in, I hold down the power button until it shuts down. (Have had to do a few times when I went into Alt-ctrl-F2 and it kept saying ata errors and would not let me login. Before this last install, I had to do this a lot when I had ext4...dont know if that is related)

here is what I am running:
    Acer 5251-1513 Laptop.
    AMD V120 2.2ghz 64bit.
    HD: Toshiba MK2564GSX ATA 250GB. (partion: ext3 / 50gb; ext3 /home 192gb; swap 8gb)
    Ubuntu 10.4 LTS 64bit

Any help would be greatly offered. I wonder if it is because of the 64bit? If that is a possibility, or probability, I may just switch to the 32 bit version, or another distro. For now I have been diligent in not letting any of those things happen, I know how to disable them and just have to watch my battery/shutdown if I know I will be away long.

Hi there!
    I've actually run into this issue on my Acer lappy a few times...
    I find it to be pretty much distro-specific.
    Fedora runs like a dream on it, but will give the occasional error when waking from suspend.
    Mint has a few little issues during normal operations, but never balks at waking.

Looking at your logs and the tail-end of dmesg will most likely give you a clue as to what is going on.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Transcend further and try salix! Stick with 32-bit unless you have 4GB RAM or more. Best wishes

Just Joined!
    Jayd512: Thanks again for the help. trying to decipher dmesg is going to be a fun project! Serisouly, I am way into learning about the ins and outs of Linux. When I run it I can see the lines for the ata drive, I just need to know how to read it, though I do see a few lines that have something in them saying "error"

zenwalker: Salix looks interesting, do you know if their is a gimp package for it? I will continue my research.

If you're seeing anything listed with ERROR attached to it, that would be your new focus
    Usually, though, you will want to also look at the 2 or 3 lines above it. That way, you may be able to catch some info on what actually leads to the failure.

If you're getting a specific error, though, you can post it here and maybe somebody will have some detailed help with it.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.