Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I've installed XSane Image Scanner. When I first opened it, it searched for my scanner and didn't give any error messages, and it had my scanner model in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

XSane Image Scanner won't recognize scanner

Hi,

I've installed XSane Image Scanner. When I first opened it, it searched for my scanner and didn't give any error messages, and it had my scanner model in the heading of the scan window. But when I hit the scan button, it gave me a message saying, "Failed to start scanner: error during device I/O.

I closed everything, and opened XSane again. This time it said there was no scanner available. The scanner is plugged into the USB port and uses that for both power and data. It's a Canoscan Model N650U.

Anybody got any ideas on how I can solve this problem. Thank you much!

Jim

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What make/model of scanner are you using? FWIW, you need to install the appropriate scanner driver software for your device. I have an Epson Precision scaner on my system, and with the appropriaate software from Avasys (Epson's Linux driver provider) it works just fine.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Newbie

Do I need a scanner driver with XSane?

Hi Rubberman,

The scanner is a Canon Canoscan N650U. XSane is supposed to provide "standardized access to any raster image scanner hardware (flatbed scanner, hand- held scanner, video- and still- cameras, frame- grabbers, etc.)" Wouldn't that mean I don't need a driver?. I checked the canon driver site, but it doesn't have a Linux driver for this model. After Googling a bit, I can't seem to find any other sources, either. Got any idea if I do need one, and if so, where I might find one? Thank you much.

Jim

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    According to the linked site, the N650U is "fully supported". Going to the entry for that model, here are the web sites to look at and that have the code you need: Plustek backend Page and sane-plustek.5

Linux Newbie

I/O error

On closer observation, it seems to recognize the scanner. It even lists it's model number on the window heading, but when I try to scan, it gives an error message saying: Failed to Start Scanner. Error during device I/O. Does that shed any light on the problem?

Thanks for your help.

Jim

I've had USB port issues. For example, when I plug in my Android smart phone, then my system can't find my USB printer. Try unplugging any other USB devices to see if that eliminates the problem.

Linux Newbie

Only one USB port

I've only got one USB port and it seems to work fine with anything else plugged into it, including this scanner with Windows. Is there anyway I can run a command in terminal and find out what's going on? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by jimtyler View Post
    I've only got one USB port and it seems to work fine with anything else plugged into it, including this scanner with Windows. Is there anyway I can run a command in terminal and find out what's going on? Thanks again.
    Don't know. I have an Epson scanner, and it works great with sane/xsane, but then I still needed to install the driver from Avasys, the Epson Linux driver provider. Have you installed the drivers from the site we pointed you to?

Linux Newbie

It works, but .conf file has wrong scanner codes

This morning, I plugged in the scanner, booted the computer, fired up XSane, and low and behold, the scanner worked. I'm not sure why. I had it plugged in when I installed and ran XSane for the first time. Maybe it just needed to be re-booted.

I also took a closer look at the links you sent me. I probably should have done this earlier. I noticed that the VID and PID codes in the plustek.conf file are not the same as what's listed for my scanner. I assume it would work better if the correct codes were in this file. I noticed it was read only, and I couldn't change anything. I think ther's a way to force the change, but I don't know how to do it. Could you enlighten me? Thanks again for your help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast