Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greetings, I searched and could not find this out. I use latest Ubuntu on a Dell Dimension 3000 and it works great. I am slowly migrating most of my Windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Open Source alternative to read Adobe InDesign files

Greetings,

I searched and could not find this out.

I use latest Ubuntu on a Dell Dimension 3000 and it works great. I am slowly migrating most of my Windows XP work over to Linux apps and have been pretty happy so far.

However, Adobe has a stranglehold on the design software market, due to its CS4 and CS5 studio products. I use GIMP and GIMPShop in place of Photoshop ... works great. Is there or are there any Open Source solutions coming that will read the InDesign .indd files? College student discounts are still too expensive for the average student.

I gotta believe that there is enough pent-up demand to justify the effort. Their software is terribly expensive. I would even buy something if if was reasonably priced.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, you can download/install the trial version of InDesign or Acrobat on a Windows system or virtual machine, then convert the InDesign files to PDF format, which can be viewed and possibly edited with FOSS tools on Linux.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!