Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by ozar You could always run a dual-boot system then move over to Windows when you feel the urge to fire up IE8. Either that, or run Windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    You could always run a dual-boot system then move over to Windows when you feel the urge to fire up IE8.
    Either that, or run Windows in a virtual machine.
    You'd still have a browser running in it's native environment.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

You do realize that a Windows virus cannot infect a Linux machine, regardless of the browser or security settings, don't you?

The best way to run IE8 with Ubuntu is wine + winetricks, as far as I know.
    Just install wine and winetricks.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install wine1.3
    sudo apt-get install winetricks
    Note it's wine1.3 and NOT wine. If you install wine, it probably won't work (since it's an older version).

Then, run winetricks, check IE8 and install it.

BUT: I don't know if IE8 actually works with wine. I am using IE6 installed with winetricks, which works pretty well. I use it because Supermemo (which I also use with wine) depends on IE6. Still, I would never use it for surfing the Internet.

It might be true that IE8 is much safer than any IE before. This doesn't mean it is safer than other browsers like Firefox, Chrome, Konqueror etc.
    As someone mentioned before, security is (at least at the moment) much less important with a Linux OS, just because there aren't many viruses for Linux.

Think it over if you really want to rough it just because IE8 *might* be more secure than other browsers (in my opinion, it isn't).

java is what caused you to get nailed. it doesn't matter what browser you were using. the one thing that ie 8 does differently is prompts you if you want to install something that is trying to install itself. basically asking if you wanted this action to occur. in a way, you could consider this to be more secure, actually Microsoft added this feature to Windows itself making it more difficult for software to install itself without your consent. Linux hasn't had to deal with this so far, but Linux from the start is more secure because you run everything in user mode by default and most Windows users are running their systems as admin, so they are at risk from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by hatebreed View Post
    ... and most Windows users are running their systems as admin, so they are at risk from the start.
    When I ran Windows, I never had anything but an admin account.
    But I was the only person using my computer, so that might be a factor.
    I was careful, and looked at every dialogue box that came up.
    Ran as admin, no AV programs. No infections.

... Windows is definitely more susceptible to infection. But it really comes down to the keyboard jockey.
    I can't stand Windows (personal feeling), but it can be run safely by a cautious user.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I agree but i'm talking about the average user who doesn't know what they are doing and what they are installing when something pops up on screen telling them to run this certain program. Most people that I help tell me the same thing, this box popped up and said I needed this so I just clicked ok. You can run windows without getting nailed, I did it for 15 plus years. I still use windows on occasion if there is a web site that requires IE for some stupid reason and no other browser will work, otherwise Ubuntu is the only OS I run. Other than the occasional other linux OS I will try out once in a while. I have decided not to buy windows again unless it comes with a new laptop or something like that, otherwise I don't need it anymore. I would also like to thank the Linux community and everyone on this forum for making my conversion very painless indeed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2