Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Can you set the device to MTP and/or MSC? I don't have one so I don't know if this option is available to you. IF you can, try switching to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Can you set the device to MTP and/or MSC? I don't have one so I don't know if this option is available to you. IF you can, try switching to the other mode.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Can you set the device to MTP and/or MSC? I don't have one so I don't know if this option is available to you. IF you can, try switching to the other mode.
    I have no idea how to do that... and I can't access the device so I'm not sure I could if I did know... Thanks for suggestion!

What I mean is, if you turn the device on and go through the system menu options.....is there an option to switch MTP or MSC?
    Or are you saying that you can't access the device at all?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    What I mean is, if you turn the device on and go through the system menu options.....is there an option to switch MTP or MSC?
    Or are you saying that you can't access the device at all?
    Oh, ok. no, i have no access to the device. Ubuntu does not acknowledge it is connected in any way. But I know Ubuntu does see it, from when I ran the command above from Casper....

TBob is saying that with the apple device uplugged from the computer. Can you go thru apples menu and change from MTP to MSC or visa versa.

Devils Casper also mentioned if by opening a terminal with the device plugged in to your computer. To type into terminal

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    lower case L after -

Type in password and hit enter. Copy and paste readout in a post so Devils Casper can read it to see if your apple device is picked up by fdisk.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    TBob is saying that with the apple device uplugged from the computer. Can you go thru apples menu and change from MTP to MSC or visa versa.

Devils Casper also mentioned if by opening a terminal with the device plugged in to your computer. To type into terminal

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    lower case L after -

Type in password and hit enter. Copy and paste readout in a post so Devils Casper can read it to see if your apple device is picked up by fdisk.

+1
    Use the devices menu and see if it has settings for MTP or MSC.....I really don't know if Apple products support that feature or not.

Linux Newbie
    iPod and iPhone do not have that option in the menu. As for fdisk -l I did and all it reports back is my HDD. but when I use the "tail -s 3 -f /var/log/messages" command you can see where it reports the device is connected but nothing past this happens. These devices both have worked flawlessly with this install, so not sure what got changed in the meantime.

Do you have your iPod turned on when you connect it to the computer? If yes, try to turn it off and then connect it. If not, turn it on and connect it. I've had some issues like that and I remember I had to do something like that, I just don't know which way it was.

Also, what does your iPod show once it's connected?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by tyho View Post
    Do you have your iPod turned on when you connect it to the computer? If yes, try to turn it off and then connect it. If not, turn it on and connect it. I've had some issues like that and I remember I had to do something like that, I just don't know which way it was.

Also, what does your iPod show once it's connected?

I have tried connecting both ways, with them off and with them on. No difference.
    As for what they show, the only time an ipod or iPhone displays anything like a status message is when syncing with iTunes. This is the normal behavior regardless of OS. When the device is turn off, plugging it in makes it turn on. This is also normal whenever they are plugged in to a power source.

Linux Newbie
    Bump please

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast