Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by coopstah13 no, those are all commands in bold, and you need to execute them in that order, they all do exactly what I say they are doing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Thank you Coop !!

Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    no, those are all commands in bold, and you need to execute them in that order, they all do exactly what I say they are doing

for the record, i never said anything about copy/paste, its just copying file

Code:
    sudo Xorg -configure
    sudo mv /etc/X11/{xorg.conf,xorg.conf.orig}
    sudo mv xorg.conf.new /etc/X11
    I new I was seeing it wrong. I can always count on you Coop to keep me on the straight and narrow !! I jumped to the assumption about copy/paste...sorry, my bad.
    I'll be at work until this evening, will do the tasking when I get home. I'll post the results, thank you again Coop !!

Chuck
    Last edited by luckyshot; 10-16-2010 at 08:34 PM. Reason: ADDING INFO

As mentioned in the other thread, you might wanna reconsider your choice of 64bit.
    Especially as a beginner, it's probably better to use 32bit instead (as far as I know, the performance doesn't change very much either). Also check ved's post.

Thanks Tyho,
    I'll check out Ved's post. I chose the 64-bit OS for maximum performance using high-end graphical, 3D modeling, and CADD programs that I'll be using. The 64-bit processing offers more agility when doing real-time 3D design work using a Quad-core CPU.
    If it were for just normal stuff then I'd have no problem with using 32-bit OS. Unfortunately that's not the case, I built this computer from the mobo on up just for using these engineering software bundles. It is my motivation behind trying to get the NVIDIA drivers on-line as opposed to just going with the 'vesa' drivers that come with the OS.
    A friend has offered me his WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-bit backup disc with all the codes to activate it. The more I struggle with this Linux OS the more I want to take him up on his offer. What will probably happen is that I'll partition out the HHD and load the two OS's side-by-side.
    As a note of progress, well lack of progress actually.... the OS crashed again for no appearant reason the other day, and I have not had the time to re-format the HHD and start over.

Since I'm interested in the 32bit-or-64bit discussion and I didn't really know much about it, I googled for a while and found three interesting articles:

1. A more than 5 year old Tech Report article about 64bit, it's old but it tells interesting things about theoretical aspects:
    64-bit computing in theory and practice

2. A post by techieMoe on linuxforums:
    Should you choose 32-bit or 64-bit Linux?

3. An article by TuxRadar about benchmarks on a Ubuntu 9.04 System:
    Ubuntu 9.04: 32-bit vs 64-bit benchmarks

Those are just some Google hits, but I think they are interesting and well-written articles about 64bit systems.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3