Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi everyone! I have been trying to catch a break learning to use Ubuntu, but it seems the harder I try the worse it gets. I'm used to downloading an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Are all upgrades this problematic?

Hi everyone!
    I have been trying to catch a break learning to use Ubuntu, but it seems the harder I try the worse it gets. I'm used to downloading an upgrade and having it AUTORUN & self-install or get a a Wizard to walk through the installation.
    So far now with Ubuntu 10.04 I have had to play with directories, registries, configure X windows, and who knows whats next on the update trail when I try to perform the next install. Doesn't anyone ever include any "install tools" with Linux downloads?
    So far...the drivers for GeForce 6150SE had nothing in the way of AUTORUN, or any kind of executable format, but rather came with a nightmare of a setup routine that involved getting dangerously personal with the Registry, needing a learning curve to shake up an astronaut!
    Next! I try to upgrade the Movie Player to x10.1 so I could watch UTUBE clips. Oh sure, I downloaded what was said to be the file needed for Linux x86/64 bit OS....but again! NO autorun!! I ended up with another nightmarish file that requires stealth, a smart fifth grader, and about three hours of uninterrupted time & space to make the Ubuntu OS understand that you want to improve it.
    Is this ever going to get easier? I have spent almost a month trying get this OS up to speed, and every turn has been an Olympic Event. Is there a software bundle or some Linux Tool that will make third party installs easy, autorunable, or have a bag of Wizards for every occasion?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Your still thinking like Windows. Most of the additional software and codecs you need can be installed as simply as opening a terminal and running

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

This will give you Java, flash, Microsoft core fonts, mpeg playback among other things
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

I'm used to downloading an upgrade and having it AUTORUN & self-install or get a a Wizard to walk through the installation.
    There in lies the problem. As Elija points out. That is a Windows mindset. Learn to use your package manager instead of downloading who knows what from the internet. Later after you settle in (took me awhile. just a user). Then you can play dangerous downloading who knows what debs and scripts from the internet (malicious scripts can be found on the internet as well as malicious deb files)

Ubuntu:Lucid -
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

ubuntu should detect graphics card automatically and let you install driver with few clicks, just go to system->administration->hardware drivers and it should be a couple clicks

You'd think so.......

Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    ubuntu should detect graphics card automatically and let you install driver with few clicks, just go to system->administration->hardware drivers and it should be a couple clicks
    Thank you Coopstah13 !

Yes I thought so too, but when I would re-boot after the install it would boot into some kind of COMMAND LINE MODE (and no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to boot up into the desktop) and not into the desktop. I thought it was buggy drivers and would do a HHD format and re-install the Ubuntu OS and start over. Did that several times before I got wind of this instructional guide.
    As it turns out, that's what is supposed to happen so alterations can be made to the REGISTRY and DIRECTORY. Stuff I know nothing about at all. So I read the tutorial and find it dangerous for me to work at that level without studying it more first. I'm still studying....
    Hence this is why I made this posting in the first place, it's my way of saying that I just want a functional computer without trying to make it into the Olympics on every issue, as this isn't the first install I've had to do this kind of hammering on.
    I'm not used to using a 'terminal', re-writing codes and messing with the REGISTRY or DIRECTORY in order to get something upgraded or installed !! I expected an easier path then the one I'm on with Ubuntu.....

As a noob myself, I haven't run into the problems you have. When I copied the ISO file and ran the live cd, I just clicked on install, and Ubuntu did it all with a few simple questions such as language and time zone. My latest computer has had problems, but agian, the versions of linux that worked installed themselves. Are you installing from an ISO download cd or DVD? Have you verified that the download was good?

not sure what you are talking about, but linux has no registry, that is a windows only problem

if ubuntu isn't working for you, there are plenty of other distros that you can try

Learn to use Synaptic Package Manager. It offers you pretty much every software you need. You don't have to use a terminal at all if you don't want to.
    Synaptic manages any software installed on your system, at the beginning you shouldn't use anything but Synaptic to install software.
    If there is specific software you want to install but can't find within Synaptic:
    1. Go to "Software Sources" and check everything in "Ubuntu Software" -> "Downloadable from the Internet", then try again to find the software you want to install.
    2. If you still can't find it, make sure you really want to have this software (sometimes I realized it's not really what I've been looking for when I couldn't find it in the repositories)
    3. If you still want that specific software, google for "<software name> ubuntu repository". Often, there are other Ubuntu repositories you can add to your Synaptic.
    To do this, search for the "repository link" (I don't know the proper name), go to "Software Sources" -> "Other Software" -> "Add..." and enter the key there.
    Then, you should be able to find the software with Synaptic.
    4. If you have problems with certain software, especially drivers, use the forum to ask. Be as specific as possible and tell us what you did to get it running. Then, people will be glad to help you.

I'm sure there are plenty "Tutorials", help pages and other information sources for those things, google willl help you.

If you got used to Ubuntu, you might starting to download .deb-"Installation"-Files, which you can also install without a terminal. But do this only if you have to.

And: Don't use anything else!!! If you stay with Synaptic and later .deb-files, Ubuntu is a very comfortable OS to use. Even as an experienced linux user, it is always a good choice to use the package managers (such as synaptic) the OS offers.

Perhaps calling it a REGISTRY is a clear sign that I'm new....

Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    not sure what you are talking about, but linux has no registry, that is a windows only problem

if ubuntu isn't working for you, there are plenty of other distros that you can try
    What I was instructed to alter? Well it sure looked like a REGISTRY to me! But in your defense of Linux the instructions referred to it as a DIRECTORY.

The best help I can get at present is a very well written guide that excedes the scope of the Beginners Guide found at this site/forum. If anyone is interested in the kind of stuff I'm referring to when I say the things written in my posts here, go to NVIDIA.com and navigate to the drivers archives. There you'll find the current drivers for my mobo, which are GeForce 6150SE/nForce 430 chipset onboard of motherboard.
    The download also comes with a tutorial, you don't need to download the drivers, just read the tutorial. When inside the tutorial make sure you click on the link for beginning Linux end users and read that too. The stuff is so deep that I need a smart fifth grader to decifer it!

Thank you Tyho,
    It's the best thing I've heard all week !!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast