Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm new to Ubuntu and loving it, but I don't really have any idea about how to start solving this problem. A week ago my mic input was just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mic input setup

Hi,

I'm new to Ubuntu and loving it, but I don't really have any idea about how to start solving this problem.

A week ago my mic input was just fine and I was able to receive audio input through the line-in. The headphone jack at the front worked fine (which I was never able to get working on this machine under XP) and the speakers were fine.

I have since installed a bunch of sound editing programs, including jackd, and suddenly there's no more mic input.

I installed alsamixer and made the most obvious changes (unmuting channels and setting to a non-zero value) and have set the sound to stereo-duplex, and made sure that the sound preferences use the line-in as the input...

I've set everything I can find to the setting I think it should be and I'm out of ideas about where to look for how to get my sound back.

Any ideas about a starting point?
    Last edited by evilbrent; 10-17-2010 at 10:18 AM.

Just Joined!
    Hello?

Has anyone got any idea how I go about un-foobaring my sound settings? This jack worked on this computer before I put these programs on.

Am getting really upset now and have wasted many hours fruitlessly trying to get the bloody thing to do what it did before I didn't change anything. Does anyone have ANY idea??

Hmmm. Might try a fix for mic in skype maybe.

How to configure Microphone in Ubuntu 10.04 and Skype
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home