Find the answer to your Linux question:
when i installed Kubuntu 10.10 on my laptop i just wiped the drive and started over. and set up a crypto_LUKS file system. and everything was working great until i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

crypto_LUKS + new kernel = fail

when i installed Kubuntu 10.10 on my laptop i just wiped the drive and started over. and set up a crypto_LUKS file system. and everything was working great until i compiled a new kernel. now the new kernel panics at boot up when it tries to mount the file system. i can still boot from the older, generic kernel that came with Kubuntu but i'd really like to get this new one working.

what i did for the kernel was i loaded the settings from my old config file and just removed drivers and made it fit my processor. i really didn't touch file system support.
    my new kernel is 2.6.35.7
    and if you need any of the panic output just ask,.

i'm guessing there is some special module i need to include, but that is just a guess.

it certainly needs dm-crypt, I don't know if it needs anything else.

What's the output?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I'd suggest you reconfigure the kernel before you build it and make sure all the required crypto stuff is included. Also, what kernel are you trying to build (full version information please)? If it is latest from TLF (The Linux Foundation), then there are likely issues with Ubuntu that haven't been resolved by Canonical yet. So, where did you get the kernel sources from?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by tyho View Post
    it certainly needs dm-crypt, I don't know if it needs anything else.

What's the output?
    sorry about the late reply, i've been busy with school (<_<)

but anyways this is what i get:

Code:
    error: couldn't read file.
    [0.9233566] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
    [0.923644] Pid: 1, comm: swapper Not tainted 2.6.35.7 #1
    [0.923682] Call Trace:
    [0.923725] [<ffffffff8154d008>] panic+0x90/0x110
    [0.923766] [<ffffffff81aec2be>] mount_block_root+0x1e7/0x29b
    [0.923807] [<ffffffff81002930>] ? trace_kmalloc+0x360/0xa30
    [0.923846] [<ffffffff81aec3c8>] mount_root+0x56/0x5a
    [0.923885] [<ffffffff81aec537>] prepare_namespace+0x16b/0x1a4
    [0.923923] [<ffffffff81aeb7fd>] kernel_init+0x1f4/0x204
    [0.923963] [<ffffffff8100ade4>] kernel_thread_helper+0x4/0x10
    [0.924015] [<ffffffff81aeb609>] ? kernel_init+0x0/0x204
    [0.924054] [<ffffffff8100ade0>] ? kernel_thread_helper+0x0/0x10

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I'd suggest you reconfigure the kernel before you build it and make sure all the required crypto stuff is included. Also, what kernel are you trying to build (full version information please)? If it is latest from TLF (The Linux Foundation), then there are likely issues with Ubuntu that haven't been resolved by Canonical yet. So, where did you get the kernel sources from?
    i downloaded the source from kernel.org
    and the version i compiled was 2.6.35.7 i didn't really patch it or anything, it was just a vanilla kernel.
    i'm not sure about it being a conflict with Canonical compatibility though (that was honestly the first thing i thought of), because on my desktop i compiled the same kernel version under the same version of Kubuntu and the only big difference was that my laptop had the full disk encryption while my desktop only has home directory encryption.

i probably will end up just doing a recompile, since it seems like the easiest fix. my laptop takes a couple hours to do a compile (<_<) which is why i was hoping to do a patch/add module kind of fix.