Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi I installed Ubuntu 10.10 desktop edition yesterday and was wondering if I have to download the drivers for my Grapphics, sound, and network(wifi) cards? Oh and is there a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I installed Ubuntu 10.10

Hi I installed Ubuntu 10.10 desktop edition yesterday and was wondering if I have to download the drivers for my Grapphics, sound, and network(wifi) cards?

Oh and is there a feature for Ubuntu so when you hover over the workspaces on the panel you can see a windows(preview) of the given workspace? Like in windows 7. Thank you.

ved
    Linux system automatically detect the hardware of system when any device does not work then post problem here
    for wifi http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...tart-here.html
    Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wise.
    New Users : Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by heau View Post
    Hi I installed Ubuntu 10.10 desktop edition yesterday and was wondering if I have to download the drivers for my Grapphics, sound, and network(wifi) cards?

Oh and is there a feature for Ubuntu so when you hover over the workspaces on the panel you can see a windows(preview) of the given workspace? Like in windows 7. Thank you.
    Wifi and sound should work out of the box. Graphics will auto-detect but due to licensing concerns you have to specifically tell it to download the drivers. You should see a notification that drivers are available when you boot. If not, go to Hardware Drivers in the System menu and it will scan for you. Once the drivers are downloaded and installed you should have full graphics functionality.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I think what you meant to say is, enable the hover over task functionality that existed in linux long before windows decided to adopt it feature

Its a feature of compiz, so you need to enable desktop effects and then go into compiz config settings manager and enable Windows Previews

Just Joined!
    Ty for telling me about the hover over feature, I didnt know Windows adopted that from Linux. I could find the Hardware drivers in the system menu.

Ty for telling me about the hover over feature, I didnt know Windows adopted that from Linux. I could find the Hardware drivers in the system menu.
    You could or you couldn't?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

what is your graphics card? it is possible that you are already running the driver that you need to be

hardware drivers menu is for detecting ATI/nvidia graphics cards and also some wireless cards that require proprietary firmware that can't be legally distributed with OS

Just Joined!
    srry, I didnt find the hardware drivers in the system menu. Its an Nvidia that came with the Dell D630c. ON Win7 OS the audio said High def audio but on Ubuntu it doesnt say that. I just want to have the correct drivers for video audio and wifi. ty.

is audio not working? it should work out of box without any issues

hardware drivers should show up in under system->administration

in case for some odd reason it wasn't there, please post back and we can tell you how to install graphics driver manually

what is wrong with your wifi? is it not working properly?

ved

Smile

if any problem in your system you can post here
    Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wise.
    New Users : Read This First

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast