Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by Rubberman Have you tried booting into the older kernel (assuming that the kernel was updated along with everything else)? Also, have you tried booting from a live ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Have you tried booting into the older kernel (assuming that the kernel was updated along with everything else)? Also, have you tried booting from a live CD/DVD to be sure that something in the hardware has not been munged, and your problem is only coincidental to the software update?
    I am now able to boot into the earlier kernel 2.6.32.22 however some programs don't work such as Skype.
    How can I repair the newer kernel now I am in the previous one ?
    Pls help if you can .
    -keevill-

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You might try to reinstall some of those applications, such as skype. A broken update might have munged or removed a needed component. What error do you get when you start skype?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    You might try to reinstall some of those applications, such as skype. A broken update might have munged or removed a needed component. What error do you get when you start skype?
    Actually, skype is only one of several programs which do not open when clicked.
    Also, my printers have disappeared and more importantly, I have to attend the startup so that the correct kernel is selected.
    If this cannot be repaired , then I think I must seize the nettle and re-install the who thing afresh.
    Is there any point in upgrading to 10.10 ? Will that preserve the programs/settings etc ?
    -keevill-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2