Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
It should be safe to try, you can always change it back if it doesn't help. Hopefully this will allow alsamixer and other programs to access your line-in jack....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

It should be safe to try, you can always change it back if it doesn't help. Hopefully this will allow alsamixer and other programs to access your line-in jack.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your suggestion but it still doesn't work Is there any code you would like me to post back to see what exactly the problem could be? Is this an issue with the sound card that is in the iMac (linux compatibility problems)?

I want to make sure that I am doing everything right. Thanks again for your on going help. Looks like I will have to boot into my Mac partition to record my shows today until an answer is found.

Would you like me to take a screen shot of the sound card when I am in my Mac compared to what it is when I am in Ubuntu? Maybe there is a way to emulate the card when I am in Ubuntu?

Have you rebooted? Is your card still listed after removing that alsa-drivers module? Sometimes, windows is the best tool for the job..I don't have much experience working with line-in jacks but hopefully someone else will and might respond here.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    I did reboot and the card is still listed. My internal mic works fine but line in doesn't. Thanks for your help. I really hope someone out there has an answer for me.

Just Joined!
    I think this may help. Attached are screenshots of Ubuntu in VMware Fusion on my iMac, as well as Ubuntu booted into my iMac partition. Is there anything in these screenshots that is relevant? I noticed that the sound cards are different.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rmcellig; 10-26-2010 at 12:52 AM.

Sorry, I don't really see anything that sticks out at me. I think Mac Is sorta like Windows as far as naming a device but Linux usually only goes by the chipset. That might be why the names are different.

About the only other thing I can think of is to comb through the output of dmesg and see if you can find any errors related to your issue.

Just Joined!
    How would I do that? Do I have to type something in the terminal and post back?

Yes, sorry. The command is
    Code:
    dmesg
    You'll get a lot of scrolling text, I mean a lot!! You can use grep to try ad sort it out a little bit.
    Code:
    dmesg |grep -i error
    Code:
    dmesg |grep -i snd
    Code:
    dmesg |grep -i fail
    You can post your /var/log/messages file
    Code:
    cat /var/log/messages

Try re-installing the linux-alsa-driver-modules package...I'm looking at a few bug reports and some people say that package fix their problem, link here.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/563215
    Maybe you should sumbit a bug report and see how that goes.

EDIT: There is a lot of bugs within Alsa and Ubuntu.
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 10-26-2010 at 01:16 AM. Reason: See EDIT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast