Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have installed xubuntu on my external HDD via my laptop. The installation went without problems. When i removed the usb HDD and rebooted an error was prompt. error: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Moved or Lost Grub

Hello,

I have installed xubuntu on my external HDD via my laptop. The installation went without problems. When i removed the usb HDD and rebooted an error was prompt.

error: no such device: a24dbd7f-ca6c-4ca7-b4c4-e9a05642c .
    grub rescue>

I'm still a noob with linux so i dont know if i just modified a /boot/grub/ file or moved it to the external drive /boot/grub/. If the external drive is plugged in on boot i can see all three OS's on the grub

thanks,

ZeRoShock.

Nv Gatway laptop with ubuntu 10.04 and Windows 7. believe i have grub2. Anymore info on the system will need guidance on how to acquire it.

ZeRoShock!

Hello. This is just a guess but i think you might have installed the grub on the external. I'm not very familiar with grub2 but perhaps you can try to edit grub in:

$ sudo /etc/default/grub

Try to google around too. Or search within our forums. If I may suggest.

Good luck!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

T2R
    Just Joined!
    error: no such device: a24dbd7f-ca6c-4ca7-b4c4-e9a05642c.
    Bios wants to give control to boot loader which is on yours external HDD. You can search on google for grub rescue. It should help.

Linux Guru
    You've installed the Grub stage1 file to the master boot record of the internal. Most of the Grub files are in the root partition on the external and when you remove the external it will obviously not be able to find them.

If you want to boot xubuntu on the external drive by changing boot priority in the BIOS, you need to install Grub to the mbr of the external drive.

If you want to be able to boot with the Grub from Ubuntu on the internal, boot into Ubuntu and run grub-install. Can't give you any more detailed instructions without your partition information.

You could check out Section 12 at the site below for reinstalling Grub2:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

thank you nujinini, T2R & yancek.

So i reinstalled grub-pc, i boot fine from my laptop with ubuntu and win7. I still would like to boot my xubuntu as a primary on other computers but not my laptop. If i set my hdd to boot before my usb hdd it should work? How do i install grub to my external without messing my internal up again?

thanks

zeroshock

Linux Guru
    Boot into xubuntu and run the sudo fdisk -l command to get partition information. If your xubuntu hard drive is seen as /dev/sdb you could install grub to its mbr with: grub-install /dev/sdb

Make sure you have the correct drive name, it may not be sdb. Check this tutorial on reinstallingg Grub. Section 4.G:

GRUB 2 bootloader - Full tutorial