Find the answer to your Linux question:

Thread: git-server

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

git-server

Hi all,

Ive in vmware an Ubuntu Git server, and form the server to the server it works perfect
    If i connect with mine mac to the server it ask for a password, and ive no idea what that is.

But on the internet was standing a command for public reposority
    git git-daemon --base-path=/home/git/repositories/ --export-all

when I run it , this error appear:
    git: 'git-deamon' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.

someone?

an edit from mine side:
    git daemon --base-path=/home/git/repositories/ --export-all
    don't give an error, but does nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRaats View Post
    Ive in vmware an Ubuntu Git server, and form the server to the server it works perfect
    If i connect with mine mac to the server it ask for a password, and ive no idea what that is.
    Please specify the complete command you use to "connect to the server".

git daemon --base-path=/home/git/repositories/ --export-all
    Do you get back to the command prompt immediately? Have you checked whether the Git server process is running?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    command
    git clone git@xxx.xx.xx.xx:seaconrep.git

response
    Initialized empty Git repository in /Users/mra/Desktop/seaconrep/seaconrep/.git/
    git@xxx.xx.xx.xx's password:

----

such i said, 'git daemon --base-path=/home/git/repositories/ --export-all'
    don't give an error, but doesn't do anything. Even don't give me the command prompt back. Only when i press 'ctrl C'

----

For installing the Git server on the Ubunto i followed this guide:
    scie.nti.st/2007/11/14/hosting-git-repositories-the-easy-and-secure-way

command
    git clone git@xxx.xx.xx.xx:seaconrep.git

response
    Initialized empty Git repository in /Users/mra/Desktop/seaconrep/seaconrep/.git/
    git@xxx.xx.xx.xx's password:
    You are using ssh access (note the git@ bit). To my memory, in this case you really need to provide a valid user name and password.

Try this instead:
    Code:
    git clone git://xxx.xx.xx.xx:seaconrep.git
    As far as I can remember, the git:// protocol allows you to do anonymous cloning (that is, you don't have to specify passwords), but will not allow you to do pushes unless otherwise configured.

such i said, 'git daemon --base-path=/home/git/repositories/ --export-all'
    don't give an error, but doesn't do anything. Even don't give me the command prompt back. Only when i press 'ctrl C'
    The fact that it doesn't get back to the command prompt tells me that the daemon is actually running (and ready to respond to requests). Try connecting to your machine when the daemon is running.

If you don't like having the daemon consume one of your consoles, you may append an '&' (ampersand) to your git-daemon command, like this:

Code:
    git daemon --base-path=/home/git/repositories/ --export-all &
    For installing the Git server on the Ubunto i followed this guide:
    scie.nti.st/2007/11/14/hosting-git-repositories-the-easy-and-secure-way
    This tutorial seems to be gitosis-oriented; if your purpose is a simple public repository, you should be able to go simpler ways.

But on the internet was standing a command for public reposority
    git git-daemon --base-path=/home/git/repositories/ --export-all
    If you are referring to the command from the tutorial:
    Code:
    sudo -u git git-daemon --base-path=/home/git/repositories/ --export-all
    then please mind that the first "git" does not belong to the command run by sudo, but rather tells sudo to run the command not as root (as it usually does), but as the user git. For further details refer to the "-u" option from man sudo.

I gonna try this all, thanks a lot.
    This tutorial seems to be gitosis-oriented; if your purpose is a simple public repository, you should be able to go simpler ways.
    The purpose for the repository is, here are a lot virtual servers (ubuntu and some debian) and they need a repository, prefer GIT. So do you have a better tutorial or a better solution. So yes, than please tell me.

The purpose for the repository is, here are a lot virtual servers (ubuntu and some debian) and they need a repository, prefer GIT. So do you have a better tutorial or a better solution. So yes, than please tell me.
    I am not that experienced in configuring public git repositories (actually, I've never setup one ), but if you list the operations your repository will most likely have to carry out, either somebody cleverer than me or even I can give you some hints.

The point is that what you describe looks like a generic situation, when there is the repository and there are some clients. If your setup is indeed sufficiently simple, running git-daemon should be enough.

Ok i found another tutorial, for your information:
    tumblr.intranation.com/post/766290565/how-set-up-your-own-private-git-server-linux

This one works

I was looking for password protection for gitweb. Installed gitweb succesful.

-->
    Ok i found another tutorial, for your information:
    tumblr.intranation.com/post/766290565/how-set-up-your-own-private-git-server-linux

This one works

I was looking for password protection for gitweb. Installed gitweb succesful.
    Good to hear! May your server have the longest uptime!