Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a little concerned about my computer's security and believe it is being accessed and items viewed. How do I tell if this is happening? Or if a key-stroke type ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do you know if someone is accessing your computer?

I'm a little concerned about my computer's security and believe it is being accessed and items viewed. How do I tell if this is happening? Or if a key-stroke type of programme has been installed?

I have gone to Shields Up and all of my ports are in stealth, but my comp responds to pings.

I have Firestarter firewall up and running. And ClamTk is up to date.

Is there anyway to prevent someone from getting at my comp and files again if they know my IP address?

Sorry, really junior questions, but all of the other posts I've seen are too far above me or don't directly apply.

Thanks for all the help. And I don't have anything top secret, just think I have some prying eyes.

You should be able to type 'who' at the command line to see who is currently logged-in.

If you're worried about security, then switch everything off and enable remote access only through SSH. Generate some keys (as complex as possible, 4096 bits if possible) and allow logins only using those keys.

Once that's going, reboot the machine (to kick-off anyone who might be logged in), log-in yourself and turn on the stuff you want - and secure it as you go.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    netstat -tunap | grep 22

This will bring you list of ip address connected to your system using ssh provided the defualt port number of your ssh server was 22. You will have to specify your ssh port number if it is other than 22.

You can generall check that out at /etc/ssh/sshd_config

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by mnvamsi View Post
    netstat -tunap | grep 22

This will bring you list of ip address connected to your system using ssh provided the defualt port number of your ssh server was 22. You will have to specify your ssh port number if it is other than 22.

You can generall check that out at /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    Not to thread jump, but out of curiosity i ran that command and it brought htis up
    Code:
    tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:54322         0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
    What does the LISTEN mean?