Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

cant load windows or ubuntu!!

Hi, i'm new to linux- specifically ubuntu and have came across a serious problem.

I was using my laptop (vista), and successfully figured out how to install/load ubuntu.. I then read that after I download the program I should update everything using the updater.. I was then updating some 200 files ( I thought these were security updates ) .. and eventually after it finished it asked me to restart. When i tried to load my computer I came up with a black screen saying:

error: no such device: eb6ed085-d460-4e73-85b3-0ede1171a0a2.
    grub rescue>

It doesnt give me the option to load windows or ubuntu and goes directly to this when I turn on my laptop. I hope I didnt permanently damage my laptop. I have business work on their I need to access urgently. I regret unknowingly trying to use this program. Though I hope someone can help me, i'm in need of help urgently. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Is this a wubi install or does Ubuntu have it's own partition. What version of Ubuntu also.

Yes it was a wubi install.
    It was the latest version of Ubuntu. I downloaded directly from the ubuntu website.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    but I did create a partition. named it Z and then formatted it. then put ubuntu onto that.

Just to understand you properly. You are running Ubuntu 10.10 and Use Grub 2 to boot both Windows and Ubuntu.

Not Wubi. Because this makes a big difference on what you need to do.

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Just to understand you properly. You are running Ubuntu 10.10 and Use Grub 2 to boot both Windows and Ubuntu.

Not Wubi. Because this makes a big difference on what you need to do.
    Oh Boy. If I think you put a wubi install on it's own partition by moving wubi install from programs folder to Z partition. You have borked it good.

Windows Vista Recovery Disc Download — The NeoSmart Files

Unfortunately I didnt do nearly enough research or payyed attention to anything.. I was watching youtube videos on how to install it properly so at first I had to create a partition. I did "shrink tihs volume" and then had a "Free Space".. I then "formatted it, and named it Z". After doing that I found out I could use Wubi to install it. So I installed Wubi, and it asked me where I wanted to install it. My options were C: or Z:.. And I assumed that I needed to put it on Z. Not installing it on C:. I dont know if that makes any sense. I can try to explain further or different if you dont understand.

Oh Boy. If I think you put a wubi install on it's own partition by moving wubi install from programs folder to Z partition. You have borked it good.
    Oh boy! Don't tell me that!! the only thing I can access before arriving to that screen/error message is bring up my setup screen. I did a Hard Drive Test and it said My hard drive has failed. Is my laptop ruined?!

Windows Vista Recovery Disc Download — The NeoSmart Files
    I assume my only option is to download that to a CD and do that?

Wubi is a weird Creature. You are supposed to install inside of C drive with Vista and it ends up in programs folder. What you are getting is a UID error and to tell the truth. I don't know how to assign a UID change to a wubi install. That is why I posted the Vista recovery download. You can repair Vistas Boot loader with that download.