Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by deetee So my laptop cannot get wireless at all with Ubuntu? Is there another linux OS I could/should be using instead? Linux systems generally have the same ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.

Quote Originally Posted by deetee View Post
    So my laptop cannot get wireless at all with Ubuntu? Is there another linux OS I could/should be using instead?
    Linux systems generally have the same kernels, so this would likely be a problem for out-of-the-box support. That said, I know that Broadcom is doing a lot to provide better linux and open source support for their devices, so you might find something on their web site. After all, you can easily install a driver that is not supported by default, which may be provided by a device manufacturer, but not yet integrated into the mainstream kernel code base. That is generally a slow process, getting new drivers to be directly released with the kernel.

Alternatively, a WiFi USB dongle that is supported by your OS is a definite possibility. That can work, even if your built-in one doesn't, and they aren't too expensive.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Check around in the Ubuntu system menu, I think there is an option to install "Windows drivers" also known as NDISWrapper, I know Mint Linux has that but I can't remember if Ubuntu does as well. I think that might be your best bet with this particular card.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I've used ndiswrapper on ubuntu systems in the past, though not the latest 10.x (9.04 or 9.10 - don't remember which), so that might work in a pinch.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

dell d600

i just got a Dell D600 that uses a similar Wifi chip.
    the b43 driver worked for me even though it says it doesn't on their page:
    linuxwireless.o r g/en/users/Drivers/b43
    <will need to remove spaces in "org">

it looks like you are already using the b43legacy driver so you may need to uninstall it

if that doesn't work i also had luck with ndiswrapper and you can find the driver you need here:
    sourceforge.n e t/apps/mediawiki/ndiswrapper/index.php?title=Dell_Truemobile_1400
    <will need to remove spaces in "net">

to get at the .ini you'll need to extract the files like this:
    Code:
     unzip -a drivername.exe

[edit] i did this on Slackware 13.1 but it should also work on Ubuntu. Also, my card is a Dell Truemobile 1450 but it still uses the same Broadcom chip 14e4:4324 [/edit]

Just Joined!
    Just buy a usb or pcmcia wifi adaptor. That should do it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2