Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello guys, i decide to try ubuntu so i downloaded the bootable image file ubuntu 10.10 in iso format.. i burnt it to a disk but couldn't install it... actually ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy am a beginner... please help with ubuntu 10.10

hello guys,
    i decide to try ubuntu so i downloaded the bootable image file ubuntu 10.10 in iso format.. i burnt it to a disk but couldn't install it... actually i'm not sure how to install it.. i put the disk in the drive and restarted the system.. then it loaded the ubuntu files on booting and the setup began.. while setting up i came across an installation question with the following options..
    1. install aside other operating system.
    2. manually select the partition to install
    3. (i don't remember)

i wanted to install it to another partition so i selected 2nd option. it then showed me the list of partitions. i selected the one where i wanted to install it(different from the one where i have my windows installed). and when i clicked on forward it gave an error message " unable to install. the root filesystem not defined. please select a root directory from the partitioning menu" (i don't remember the exact error message). so i quit the installation and i booted it up with windows. then i opened the disk contents and tried to install within windows.

there was an option for installing within other operating system(windows in my case). so i selected it and it asked me to select a drive and to assign a size to ubuntu on that drive. i selected according to my plan and installed it.

can anyone tell me how to install it from the boot screen.. i mean booting from the disk and then installing it..?

after the installation i wanted to set up my dial up connection. i searched on internet and found that i needed a package called 'wvdial' to install. i downloaded it and when i tried installing it through command line using 'sudo', i got an error saying "unable to locate the package wvdial but it is referred by another package which means that the package is obsolete or corrupted"
    i also tried to install other packages but got the error message that "unable to locate the package"

please help...

Good book for new Ubuntu Users and free is

Main page - Ubuntu Pocket Guide and Reference

Read it before installing Ubuntu and setting up dial up connection.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!

use /

When you create a partition for your Linux install you need to define a mount point in it of / so the installer knows where to install the system files. Click into the drive you want to install into and enter a /. As far as wvdial, open Synaptic Package Manager from Administrative menu and search for it that way. There may be a version change or new name for it.

Does this help?
    Last edited by EdCompSci; 03-31-2011 at 11:33 PM. Reason: be more clear