Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am creating a database for a budget, and the installation and setup is relatively easy. It resembles MS Access in many ways. When I created a table, and a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

OpenOffice.org 3.2 Database

I am creating a database for a budget, and the installation and setup is relatively easy. It resembles MS Access in many ways.

When I created a table, and a form to enter data into that table, The cursor sits in the field, but will not allow me to enter any data. I don't know what is wrong. I attempted to see if I have it set to read only, but I can't tell that, and it doesn't do me any good if I can't enter information into it with the form.

Has anyone else experienced such a problem, and is there a fix, or .. What am I doing wrong, or not doing that I should be doing. Any help will be hugely appreciated. I am a recent graduate from the MS way of doing things, and trying to get into Linux Ununtu. I no longer have MS at all. This is MUST DO for me.

Thanks for any and all assistance. Joe

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Open the OOo database application, click on "Forms" in the Database column (left side). Right-click on the table you created, and select the "Edit" option. You can check and change the properties of the form from there. Click on a field to check, right-click, and select "Control...". You can check and select whether or not the field is enabled, visible, printable, etc.

BTW, I am using Libre Office 3.3.1, but this should apply to OOo 3.2 as well - they are very similar and have a common code base.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Rubberman, I really appreciate your speedy reply. Unfortunately, there is no resolve with that fix. I can show you exactly what the control window shows. I have included a list of all the values. Name: CATEGORY NAME
    Enabled: Yes, Visible: Yes, Printable: Yes, Anchor: To Paragraph, Position X" 0.13, Blank Values until Alignment: Left, Multiline Input: No. All other values are blank. No matter what I change values to, it does not work.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, it could be a bug in OOo 3.2. You might want to try Libre Office. It is reported to be more stable than OOo, and they are moving it forward faster than Oracle is with OOo, now that all the old OOo people have left for LO. There were lot of hard feelings and public kerfuffle over the heavy-handed attitude of Oracle toward the OOo community after they (Oracle) bought Sun last year. Anyway, here is the link: Home LibreOffice

I am trying

Rubberman, I know I am old, and maybe not as bright as I used to be... but

I downloaded the stuff from Libre Office, and it seemed to go okay, but I can't find anything that even resembles what I am looking for. No mention of Libre Office, or anything that I can recognize. I am from the Windows World, and used to having things just show up, I guess. I have no idea where all this stuff went, or how to make it work.

I know that I can use the mysql -h <hostname> -u <username> -p to get into mysql, but then it asks for a password, and I don't have a clue what that is. The -p causes that to happen. Where do I set the password to use? Is this the same as Libre Office? I am lost.

I have to persevere, and someday I will get all this. Just hoping it is sooner than later..

Joe

Libre Office

Rubberman,

I was successful in getting LO downloaded, and it looks exactly like OO from what I can see. I also was able to download mysql, and am using that. no interface, but it works well, and forces me to learn SQL. Not entirely a bad thing, since Oracle is not saying they are dumping LO and allowing Public Domain handle it. They have bigger fish to fry.

I am plugging away little by little. Still trying to get phpmyadmin downloaded, and figure out how to use it. But one step at a time I guess. Thanks for all your help. I really do appreciate it.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by JWest8414 View Post
    Rubberman,

I was successful in getting LO downloaded, and it looks exactly like OO from what I can see. I also was able to download mysql, and am using that. no interface, but it works well, and forces me to learn SQL. Not entirely a bad thing, since Oracle is not saying they are dumping LO and allowing Public Domain handle it. They have bigger fish to fry.

I am plugging away little by little. Still trying to get phpmyadmin downloaded, and figure out how to use it. But one step at a time I guess. Thanks for all your help. I really do appreciate it.

Joe
    Glad to point you in the (hopefully) right direction. Yes, Oracle just announced they are punting OOo into the PD, but they are still keeping the Open Office trademark, so as far as I'm concerned, OOo is defunct. Most major distributions, such as Ubuntu and others, are now including LO in their default installations, instead of OOo, so that may tell you something. I was able to speak at some length with Italo Vignoli in Chicago a couple of weeks ago (the lead of LO and the Document Foundation), and from what I can tell, LO is where support is moving. At this time, LO and OOo are effectively compatible, except that LO is rapidly moving forward, while OOo is pretty much at a standstill.

Anyway, anything we can do to help you move forward yourself, let us know.

Point Me..

Rubberman, or anyone else:

I have created a database in Libre Office, and it is moving along. I am doing this for practice. I try to access the database with mysql, but it does not like it, or won't find it.. or something. I put the database on a flash drive, called /media/TOSHIBA, and the name of the file is: Budget2011.odb. When I try to access it, it won't find it. I moved it to the /home/joe/Desktop where many other files are located, and still no go. I am kind of lost. I am trying to learn mysql, so this is why I am doing that.

Also, in the Creditor Table, I need to know how to make the index, (primary key) called CreditorID into an automatic numbering field, and then now to relate the file to the Payments Table. Does all this sound like an amateur?? I am.

Either the information, or where I can find the information. either is acceptable. I thank you in advance for all your help.... Thanx.. Joe

Libre Office Problems

I created a DB called Bud11, Created tables called CREDITOR and PAYMENTS. Other Tables for lookup purposes only are PayFreq, Category and PayType. The lookups are working well. I created Forms for Data Entry. It all followed the manual to the letter. Looks great.

When I tried to enter the data, it was easy and went great, until the save. Then I got a message as follows:

Error inserting the new record:

Integrity constraint violation - No parent SYS_FK_77 table: Payments in statement [INSERT INTO "CREDITOR" ("ACCTNO","ACTIVE","ADDRESS","AMTBUDGET","CAT","CI TY","DATEOPENED","FREQUENCY","NAME","PHONENUM","PO C","STATE","ZIPCODE") VALUES(?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?)

SQL Status: 23000
    Error Code: 177

I have no idea what all this means. I am using Libre Office 3.3. The fields in the CREDITOR table are CREDID, NAME, ADDRESS, ADD2, CITY, STATE, ZIPCODE, PHONE, FAX, ACCT, POC, WEBADD, AMTBUDET, DATEOPENED, ACTIVE, CAT.

I followed the manual printed from the web, and it was all perfect, until I went to save this record. What did I do wrong??? Help Joe

WorkBench

I am moving right along without any input from anyone. But not without some pains. I was able to finally get logged on to the mysql database, and I found more books on the topic, which are helpful. I also loaded something called WorkBench, which is for mysql.
    Since I did, I can not log into the database, and now I can't log in the way I used to either. So I am really getting worse instead of better. I now have a new schema called Bud11, and tables built called Acct and Payment. I have built a number of views. But now I can't access any of them, and I don't know what is going on. Does anyone else have any experience with this WorkBench thing? It is a front end for MYSQL.
    The home page shows a connection to localhost, with the schema of Bud11, but it won't connect to the server. The message is:

Cannot Connect to Database Server
    Your connection attempt failed for user 'root' from your host to server at 127.0.0.1:3306:
    Error connecting SSH tunnel: [Errno 111] Connection refused

Please:
    1 Check that mysql is running on server 127.0.0.1
    2 Check that mysql is running on port 3306 (note: 3306 is the default, but this can be changed)
    3 Check the root has rights to connect to 127.0.0.1 from your address (mysql rights define what clients can connect to the server and from which machines)
    4 Make sure you are both providing a password if needed and using the correct password for 127.0.0.1 connecting from the host address you're connecting from

I have no idea what I am getting into here, or what this all means. Is there anyone out there that has a clue?? I am LOST. I don't think I will do anything else until I find out what I am doing.

HELPPPPPP!!! A confused ole man... Joe