Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi; I'm using Ubuntu 10. 04 LTS sometimes and have become spoiled with a text to voice reader that can read anything I highlight or almost anything when using Win ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Looking for text to voice progam

Hi;

I'm using Ubuntu 10. 04 LTS sometimes and have become spoiled with a text to voice reader that can read anything I highlight or almost anything when using Win XP - It is nice to sit back and listen to what some one wrote, such as an email or a document while doing other things.

I am fairly certain that there is a program or three that will do the job on Ubuntu but I just can't locate it as of today.

Any hints???

I also am using Knoppix so would like the same for it. ; >}

TIA,
    Ray

PS: I'm still a beginner so don't jargon me to death... LOL

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rayxoxo View Post
    Hi;

I'm using Ubuntu 10. 04 LTS sometimes and have become spoiled with a text to voice reader that can read anything I highlight or almost anything when using Win XP - It is nice to sit back and listen to what some one wrote, such as an email or a document while doing other things.

I am fairly certain that there is a program or three that will do the job on Ubuntu but I just can't locate it as of today.

Any hints???

I also am using Knoppix so would like the same for it. ; >}

TIA,
    Ray

PS: I'm still a beginner so don't jargon me to death... LOL
    try here festival or just try "text reader" in synpatic

Just Joined!
    I have located a site for TTS (text to speech) and it was very helpful - so I thought that I would share it with those interested.

ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=462037

I think the latest Ubuntu Text Reader is a pretty good text-to-speech program. What I'm not sure about is whether it has an equivalent to Speakonia for Windows.