Find the answer to your Linux question:
i recently transfered my laptop to ubuntu 10.04. my laptop hasnt got a build in wireless adapter so i brought a belkin n150 wireless adapter. this was working fine on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

wireless help

i recently transfered my laptop to ubuntu 10.04. my laptop hasnt got a build in wireless adapter so i brought a belkin n150 wireless adapter. this was working fine on windows but now im not sure if its recognising it as i cant seem to pick up my internet connection.
    ive searched the internet and to be honest found answers but being new to linux i am horribly confused??????

Post the output of
    Code:
    lsusb
    lsmod
    I believe you'll find the usbid is either 050d:935b or 050d:935a.

If so, the driver you want is the rt2870sta. Instructions are here.

There are reports of folks still having trouble with the card and that driver. A possible solution if that is the case is to do the following:

Open the text editor gedit with root permissions here
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/network_drivers.rules
    Paste in this line and save
    Code:
    ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="050d", ATTR{idProduct}=="935a", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe -qba rt2870sta"
    Now open gedit to here
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/network_drivers.conf
    Paste in this line and save.
    Code:
    install rt2870sta /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install rt2870sta $CMDLINE_OPTS; /bin/echo "050d 935a" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/rt2870/new_id
    Depending on the usbid lists it as 935a or 935b, you'll need to change the where it says in the first ATTR{idProduct}=="935a" to match, ie, change the a to a b if necessary, and same in the second one, where it says 050d 935a.