Find the answer to your Linux question:
After running the most-recent ubuntu update, several keys on my laptop stopped working when running ubuntu. The non-working keys are: J, K, L, M, N, O, I, U, P, 8, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile [SOLVED] Keyboard right-side not working in ubuntu

After running the most-recent ubuntu update, several keys on my laptop stopped working when running ubuntu. The non-working keys are: J, K, L, M, N, O, I, U, P, 8, 9, and 0. (All the keys do work properly when the laptop is running Windows XP or PuppyLinux 4.2.1.) Any ideas how to restore the keys? I am running ubuntu 10.10 on a Panasonic CF-W5 laptop. Thanks.
    Last edited by ssemel; 03-24-2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Solved

You can try uninstalling and reinstalling your keyboard drivers and see if that works.

Yeah, turn off your laptop's fnlock/numlock. When this is turned on, these buttons behave like the keypad buttons on the right of a normal keyboard. I had this problem when I'd had a USB keyboard plugged into my mini laptop a few weeks ago - took me a while to figure it out, 'cos my laptop doesn't have a light for numlock/caps lock.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    To adamchronister8: how do you uninstall and reinstall keyboard drivers in ubuntu?

Just Joined!
    Roxoff: You solved my problem. The numlock key had been pressed and once I pressed it again to turn it off, all the keys now work perfectly. I am glad it was something easy. I never even saw the light indicating that the numlock was on. Thanks for your help and the easy remedy!