Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am using Xubuntu 10.10 64bit . When I press the quit or logoff buttons on the desktop it takes me to the logon screen and then at the bottom ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    erk
    Just Joined!

xbuntu shutdown screen

I am using Xubuntu 10.10 64bit .
    When I press the quit or logoff buttons on the desktop it takes me to the logon screen and then at the bottom right corner it allows me to shutdown or reboot.
    I would like to bypass this screen entirely,and just shutdown reboot from the desktop. Only I use this machine at home ,no none else needs to log on.
    Is there any way to do this?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Q&D way: from terminal screen: sudo shutdown -h now
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

erk
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Q&D way: from terminal screen: sudo shutdown -h now
    Thanks.That does work.But I am new to linux,and by the time I have found the terminal, and remembered the commands,and typed them in. I might as well have shut down the default way.
    Is there in Xubuntu something like a batch language in MSwin? Then I could put these commands into a batch file and put a shortcut on the desktop.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by erk View Post
    Thanks.That does work.But I am new to linux,and by the time I have found the terminal, and remembered the commands,and typed them in. I might as well have shut down the default way.
    Is there in Xubuntu something like a batch language in MSwin? Then I could put these commands into a batch file and put a shortcut on the desktop.
    The bash shell used in the terminal window is a scripting language, much more powerful than Windows .bat files. Here is an example:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    sudo shutdown -h now
    Copy/paste that into a text file (no extension necessary) like my_shutdown, change the permissions to executable, and try executing it first from the command line. If that works, then you can try creating a desktop link. To create, enable, and test execute the file (note, this will shut down the machine), do this from the command line:
    Code:
    cat >my_shutdown <<EOF
    #!/bin/bash
    sudo shutdown -h now
    EOF
    chmod +x my_shutdown
    ./my_shutdown
    You might want to move the file to somewhere it can be accessed easily and not deleted by mistake.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!